What's new

Cancelled TV Shows DVD Release Dates (2 Viewers)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by David Lambert /forum/thread/294898/classic-tv-release-date-thread/90#post_3654335
How does Soul Train (Time Life) and Fresh Prince (Warner) grab y'all? If they don't, then more tomorrow.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Soul-Train-DVD-Plans/13264
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fresh-Prince-Bel-Air-Season-5/13265
You're keeping me busy! lol. Fresh Prince has now proudly earned its spot in this list, and after so many years. This release and others gives up hope for the many, many stalled series in our collections. I'll add Soul Train when they provide us with specs and release dates.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ahhh. I keep forgetting about the different definitions of "Classic" TV. I'm more interested in older material from the 50's and 60's, so while I'm happy for fans of the two shows you just mentioned David, I'll just have to bask in the glow about LITB some more. But congrats to those looking for Soul Train and Fresh Prince.
Gary "still looking primarily to Shout, Timeless and CBS/P for my 'Vintage TV on DVD' fix" O.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Wow excellent news about Fresh Prince. I'm hoping this means I can do the Myposian Dance of Joy soon!
Originally Posted by David Lambert /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
How does Soul Train (Time Life) and Fresh Prince (Warner) grab y'all? If they don't, then more tomorrow.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Gary OS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh. I keep forgetting about the different definitions of "Classic" TV. I'm more interested in older material from the 50's and 60's, so while I'm happy for fans of the two shows you just mentioned David, I'll just have to bask in the glow about LITB some more. But congrats to those looking for Soul Train and Fresh Prince.
Gary "still looking primarily to Shout, Timeless and CBS/P for my 'Vintage TV on DVD' fix" O.
I am interested in older material as well ... specifically programs from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by David Lambert /forum/thread/294898/classic-tv-release-date-thread/90#post_3653954
Soooo...what if I teased the lot of ya' and said that I'm not done with classic TV news yet during this week? I mean, there ARE other companies than Shout!, y'know.
Now this will be interesting to see. Out of the news posted this week so far the Season 3 DVD news for Tales from the Darkside has been the only one which I've been interested in.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney
I am interested in older material as well ... specifically programs from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.
Don't get me wrong. I buy a few shows from the 70's and 80's too. I just have never categorized shows from those decades as real "Classics". I like what some here suggested early on - "Modern Classics" for shows that aired in the 70's and 80's. And now that we've moved into a new decade I guess I'd consider shows that started in the early nineties as qualifying for "Modern Classics." I can go along with that. But it's all just personal classification anyhow. To each his own. I just have to remind myself of that when I read anything about a "Classic" show coming soon to dvd. It may be my definition, and then again it may not be. So I have to temper my expectations accordingly.
Gary "by the way, Soul Train was very much a 70's show so that one should fit the bill for you, Mike (just kidding)" O. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Gary OS
Don't get me wrong. I buy a few shows from the 70's and 80's too. I just have never categorized shows from those decades as real "Classics". I like what some here suggested early on - "Modern Classics" for shows that aired in the 70's and 80's. And now that we've moved into a new decade I guess I'd consider shows that started in the early nineties as qualifying for "Modern Classics." I can go along with that. But it's all just personal classification anyhow. To each his own. I just have to remind myself of that when I read anything about a "Classic" show coming soon to dvd. It may be my definition, and then again it may not be. So I have to temper my expectations accordingly.
Gary "by the way, Soul Train was very much a 70's show so that one should fit the bill for you, Mike (just kidding)" O.
It is hard for me to apply your definition of classic television when it comes to the 70s. That is the decade that brought us The Brady Bunch, All in the Family, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, M*A*S*H, The Carol Burnett Show, and Happy Days. I believe all of those programs are universally accepted and regarded as classics. Anyways, I find it difficult to view them as modern classics ... their first runs happened before I was born. And by the time I was old enough to be exposed to them, they were at least 20-25 years old. So when I think of the term "modern classics", I think of Friends, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond, Married with Childen, Seinfeld, ect.
I do find it a little disappointing when a network makes an announcement of adding a classic television series to their schedule only to find out that it is a program from the 90s or even 00s. It is the same deal with TV-DVDs. But as you pointed out ... the term classic television varies from individual to individual. I just need to practice more of not getting my hopes up too high and to take what was said as a grain of salt.
Yeah, Soul Train could very well fit under my definition of classic television but with all decades there are some shows I just don't have any interest in.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Just a heads up for classic television buffs ...
Season six of The Mary Tyler Moore Show and season two of Mister Ed will be available on DVD this coming Tuesday (February 2nd). Anyone getting excited?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
I'm more interested in older material from the 50's and 60's,
You want something from that era? Sure thing, catch you tomorrow! As for the studios mentioned..."none of the above". /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif
And that might be the finale for this run of good news. I might have something in my back pocket for Friday, but it depends on if somebody gets back to me or not (or else just publicly announces the title in question). Of course, some other classic show could always pop up with a DVD release between now and then. I mean, last week's Marcus Welby thing took me somewhat by surprise!

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by David Lambert /forum/thread/294898/classic-tv-release-date-thread/90#post_3654463
I mean, last week's Marcus Welby thing took me somewhat by surprise!
Just wondering David, how often do you get "sneak surprises" from your industry sources?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Just wondering David, how often do you get "sneak surprises" from your industry sources?
More than half of the time, actually. Possibly "much more".

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lambert
want something from that era? Sure thing, catch you tomorrow! As for the studios mentioned..."none of the above".
And that might be the finale for this run of good news. I might have something in my back pocket for Friday, but it depends on if somebody gets back to me or not (or else just publicly announces the title in question). Of course, some other classic show could always pop up with a DVD release between now and then. I mean, last week's Marcus Welby thing took me somewhat by surprise!

Thanks for that tidbit, David. Now I really am intrigued. If it's not one of those three companies, and it's not news about The Donna Reed Show, then you've really got me guessing. Can't wait!

It's neat to know that you get surprised a lot too, David. The Marcus Welby announcement was a pleasant surprise, that's for sure.

Gary "thanks for the updates" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
It is hard for me to apply your definition of classic television when it comes to the 70s. That is the decade that brought us The Brady Bunch, All in the Family, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, M*A*S*H, The Carol Burnett Show, and Happy Days. I believe all of those programs are universally accepted and regarded as classics.
I can't disagree with you, Mike. At this point with us moving into a new decade now I probably should consider the 70's as "Classic" and not "Modern Classic." As we've both said, it really is an individual preference and I don't believe there's any universally recognized line on such things. But yeah, now that we are into the 2010's, I can agree with you.
And I don't want to give the impression that I'm solely interested in material from the 50's and 60's. That where a large majority of my interest lies, but I've certainly bought my fair share of 70's & 80's material. I've got Happy Days, Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, Quincy and several others from that decade. And I've got Family Ties, The Cosby Show, and Matlock from the 80's. So it's not like I'm only committed to 50's & 60's material. Still, that's where the bulk of my dvd collection comes from. And there are still more shows from those two decades I want than 1970 - 2010 combined.
Gary "good discussions here" O.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Quote:
I'm probably going to break the OP list up by decades tomorrow, primarily because the list is starting to get longer (which is a very good thing). I can see people scanning down that list and older people saying "How is Johnny Bravo considered a classic?" and younger people going "What the heck is Father Knows Best?" I do not want the thread to turn into a snob-fest with people sniffing their noses at shows they don't like, cause that's not only rude, it's unfair.
Soul Train, huh. I wonder if these will be complete seasons? Doubtful--way too many episodes (it ran for about 35 years!) and WAY too many music rights to work out. I would imagine it to be a best-of compilation, which would be lovely, but let's wait and see. Soul Train cracked me up as a kid in the early 70s. Grandpa here never failed to see it, kiddies. They would show American Bandstand on ABC in the morning, and right afterwards, we would flip the channel and watch Soul Train just to sit and make fun of all those crazy fashions the dancers had on. God, those some of those outfits were wild even by 70s standards, let me tell you! But the music--that incredible music kept us coming back week after week. I think Soul Train had a huge impact on my musical taste to this day; which is why, while I love classic 70s rock, I also love classic 70s Soul, boogie, funk and even stuff into the disco era.
Despite the incredible musical acts that were seen (or simply heard) on that show, the dancers were always the main attraction. They were talented, oh yes. Those kids knew how to boogie! Whew! And then there would always be a lone, token white couple clomping away, proving to the world that white people can't dance! They could never quite get down like the black people! Man, oh man! Yowza yowza yowza, indeed! I wonder if the producers hired the worst white dancers they could find in those early episodes, just to make the black people look good lol. Nah~~ the black people made themselves look good, because they would just rip loose! (Fred Berry, Rerun from What's Happening was spotted in the crowd, and he was later well known for his crazy dances on his own show).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
I'm probably going to break the OP list up by decades tomorrow, primarily because the list is starting to get longer (which is a very good thing). I can see people scanning down that list and older people saying "How is Johnny Bravo considered a classic?" and younger people going "What the heck is Father Knows Best?"
I really hope you do follow through and divide it up. It's a great idea for a thread, but at this point it really does need to be divided up by decades. It may take a few minutes to redesign it, but in the long run it will help everyone more.
Gary "I'm anxious to see what the 2nd quarter holds for 'Vintage' (50's/60's) material" O.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /forum/thread/294898/classic-tv-release-date-thread/90#post_3654553
Quote:
I'm probably going to break the OP list up by decades tomorrow, primarily because the list is starting to get longer (which is a very good thing). I can see people scanning down that list and older people saying "How is Johnny Bravo considered a classic?" and younger people going "What the heck is Father Knows Best?" I do not want the thread to turn into a snob-fest with people sniffing their noses at shows they don't like, cause that's not only rude, it's unfair.
That would be great if the list was categorized by decade. I think it would be much easier on the fan who is looking for a specific show.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
As a friend of Gary's, I can vouch for this. How about "The Wonder Years"? That one's late 80s/90s, right? And.....Smallville! "Matlock".....there's several shows that Gary either collects or wants (Wonder Years). Sometimes it's easy to typecast someone on this Bd as a collector of only 50s/60s shows but I've found that there's a lot of us here that have shows spanning from the 50s thru 00s in our collections.

Now, if we're looking at where the majority of our shows lie in the "Decade graph", that's a stat which will indicate where our tastes fit with TV/DVD. For me, I only have 2 shows on my shelf from 2000-2009, and only a few from the 90s. All the rest of mine are in the 50s-80s decades with most in the 50s-70s.

That said, a big surprise to me in the last couple of months is that one of those "2000" shows has turned out to be the best blind-buy of my entire collection....Smallville. Thanks to Gary for that one! Also to my nephew, who I didn't listen to a few years ago about this one

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks