What's new

Canare RCAPs vs. Eichmann & Vampire (1 Viewer)

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I've read a few threads where some forum members are saying that the Canare RCAP's are great for video but bad for analog audio. Could someone please shed some light on the subject. ;)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Provided the connections are good, I can think of no reason whatsoever why there should be any difference whatsoever. Eichmans though are pricey and flimsy. Hardly compelling reasons to choose it I'd think.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
But the Eichman's sound more open, fluid, and the bass is tighter.....

honestly,Chu, in the many months I have used the Bullet plugs I would be hard pressed to go back to the heavy metal.

I have not experienced the flimsy nature of the Bullet plugs, as I know the initial response was "be very careful with these things". That has not been my experience at all.

Like anything, the handling /insertion is "part of the science" of the enjoyment. Eichman's are the real deal IME..... as always YMMV.

;#)

BOK

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You know Brian, I'd love to argue the deficiencies of the Eichman from the traditional subjective aspects of 'crystalline distortion' :)

I followed Eichman's work long before they became popular here in the states especially some of his postings in the plating forums where his prime objective was 'how can i make these things inexpensively enough'. The way I see it, the RCA, ubiquitous as it is, is really a pretty crappy connector. Eichman's are a step below and engineering wise, I can find little to commend a design that requires the user to be more delicate and sacrifices robustness. I do agree however that people ought to use due care with their cables. My son learned that when changing his spark plugs. Grab it by the boot and pull and twist like dumb old dad told you.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
The Eichmans while very good sounding plugs are not a well designed plug when it comes to strain relief. Unlike conventional RCA's which use the body of the plugs to support the wire the Bullet plug uses the cover! To make matters worse the cover is plastic and it threads onto the polymer body.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
All true, based upon the nets horror stories ...... but if one takes just a little care upon installation (and any subsequent removal) then the whole delicacy issue is moot.

Personally, I had absolutely no issue with installing them, and, in fact like the very snug fit they gave when I installed them. I use them for my digital coax and all 5 of my pre-outs to my monoblocks.

All done by Wayne @ Bolder Cables... who does very fine work. Not some hack who bitches and moans when his DIY/Eichman RCA project goes south due to two left thumbs.

my .02 And they sound so much better than the HT Truthlinks I sold off for the Bolder M-80's with Eichman RCA's. The Truthlinks cost twice as much , btw.

But, like all things in audio, one has to personally use them in his system before casting the broad net of dislike, or disdain.

YMMV,

BOK

Mark Rich

Second Unit
The problem with Eichmann Bullets plugs is the poor mechanical design and not its audio performance.
I use some bullets in my system as well but I'm also willing to admit their shortcomings. They are not built by a hack either but this is not meant to be a plug for our favorite cable maker. The cable maker has no control over the poor strain relief of this plug. If you use metal screws threaded through a plastic cover as your strain relief and then make matters worse by threading the plastic cover onto a plastic body then guess where the weak point is? Audiophiles may find this kid glove treatment acceptable but the average consumer may have trouble with it.
A snug fit can be found in many other reputable connectors without this built in weakness. Vampire, WBT and Cardas to name just a few.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Good and valid points Mark. No disagreement here.

But I treat all my gear and software with kid gloves so it really is a non-issue about the Eichman's construction.

I am going on performance only when I complement them.....

BOK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks