What's new

Canadian, Online, Home theater electronics store? (1 Viewer)

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,
I was wondering if there is a reputable online electronics store that is canadian...i can't afford duty from the states. Also I am aware of futureshop.ca so any other websites would help. I am looking for recievers and speakers, specificaly Yamaha.

Thanks a ton,

Jay:)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I hope this doesn't violate forum rules, but I had a wonderful experience with Audioshop.ca. I actually went to the store in person but I can say that Marc Hallam (he posts here from time to time) was exceptionally generous with his time when I "bombarded" him with e-mail questions regarding various gear. He also graciously allowed me to spend several hours playing with gear in his shop with absolutely no pressure to buy at that moment (though I did buy, thanks to his knowledgeable advice and excellent service). I've had plenty of less than pleasant shopping experiences in audio over the years but this was great.

P.S. I neither work for, nor am I related in any way to the owners or staff of this shop. I'm simply relating a positive experience.

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
yah it doesnt work:frowning:....any other shops guys?...i live in eastern canada by the way.

Jay

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
ya i've seen that one, but i cant find any receivers and no brands that i am familiar with...any others??

thanks,

Jay

KenKusan

Grip
I think it's audioshop.on.ca but i'm not sure if that's the one Paul was saying tho. It's located in Ottawa Ontario.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
www.audioshop.on.ca

I'll also pitch in my 2 cents...Marc is an excellent fellow to talk to via e-mail, and I'm sure he'll take good care of you.

The problem with online stores is that various manufacturers will not allow their products to be sold online. This is a problem, because you violate your dealer conditions if you do. If you're not an authorized dealer, you will get no warranty from the manufacturer.

You can order from the States through BorderFree, although only eCost (well known for Denon refurbs at great prices, authorized dealer, but only in the US, which means no warranty here in Canada) and eTronics (not authorized for most of the stuff they sell) are the only places last I checked that use it.

The big point is the one I made above though. You cannot get a good selection online. If you want to buy new, buy through local, authoized dealers.

Oh, and unless you're importing from somewhere other than the US, there are no duties. You pay taxes according to the province you reside in and brokerage fees (http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...ration+Charges (entry prep charges, plus disbursement fees, plus COD fee) for UPS (FedEx is similar), or $5 flat for USPS/Canada Post). If you buy well, you can still score some good deals from the states. But again, no warranty.

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
thanks a lot guys,
the reason i was asking is because there is only one local audiophile store here and they deal yamaha, which i am confident with. I just wanted to check prices to see if they were being resonable and maybe different options...thanks again.

Jay

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Hey I was jsut looking at the AVDeals site today and I was going to call them to see if there is a store that you could go to. So I know the head office is in Oakville but does anyone know if that is an actual store where you can go and shop?

Thanks,
Chris

PS if anyone has seen a better deal than them on a Studio Experiance 2HD then let me know.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
You'll love the 2HD, even if you don't like their tweaking when you see it.

Once you've tweaked it yourself at home, you'll be smiling all the way to the bank!

Ned

Supporting Actor
Regarding audioshop, their price for the Yamaha 1400 receiver is $999. I walked into a Hi-Fi 2000 a couple weeks ago and was quickly offered it at $950 with virtually no haggling. So what exactly is the advantage of using this site?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
You can e-mail Marc at Audioshop and discuss prices. To what extent is for Marc and the customer to work out. However, the advantage of audioshop.on.ca is well beyond seeing prices posted online. Every question I had about the gear I bought (some of which were rather obscure) was answered knowledgeably, patiently, politely and with amazing speed.

I've experienced the following at many shops over the years:

I don't carry that brand, it (sucks, stinks, isn't worth your time, etc.)--this after I've said I'm considering that brand.

Well of course it does (fill in whatever feature you like that isn't actually part of the gear).

Are you going to buy this today, otherwise I can't be bothered to move things around and hook this up.

Yeah, you could go with (fill in the blank), it's okay, but you know, it's far from the top of the line from them. If you come back when you can afford it, you'll be much happier with (fill in the blank) instead.--this after establishing a firm budget, I guess no sale was better than small sale to that store.

The "hovercar" sales guy--won't leave you alone for a second. Or the opposite, the sales guy who can't be bothered to acknowledge your presence.

All of these experiences, and more, have happened to me (and countless others), sometimes combinations of the above. At Audioshop, and, to mention another, at Sound and Vision Ohio in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, none of the above happened. From these two shops I got excellent customer service, good prices (I was willing to pay a bit extra at each place for the excellent service), knowledgeable sales staff, no pressure shopping, overall a happy and pleasant experience. I could list bookstores and car dealers and music stores and on and on where I've had similar positive experiences, as well as many where it wasn't pleasant. I guess my rambling, windy point is Audioshop, like any store that accentuates good service, deserves a recommendation even if it doesn't have the "LOWEST" prices, because to me, service is worth something. I know I could have saved a bit by going elsewhere after shopping at Sound and Vision and Audioshop, but that would have cheated each of those stores out of the time and effort they spent upfront on me and my questions. Having sold cars (to pay for grad school) I certainly appreciate good, knowledgeable service when I get it.

End of diatribe. :D

PatrickM

Screenwriter
nbtelectronics.com or Next Best Thing Electronics is no longer in operation as all you see from John is calibration information.

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks