What's new

Canadian LOTR 4 disc version: French track? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info, Michael. Sounds like I can live with this! Although I'll prefer no French text whatsoever, I'm happier knowing that the outside of the packaging hasn't been tampered with. :)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Okay, so I got my 5-disk set tonight.
No French writing on the box, but there's a removable sheet on the back that lists the features in English and French. The 4 disk set inside is exactly as described by others in this thread. The NG DVD is 100% English.
If anyone has any specific questions about the set (not including the content of the disks), feel free to ask.
Oh ... the bookends are REALLY cool :D

Patrick J

Auditioning
No French writing on the box, but there's a removable sheet on the back that lists the features in English and French.
Now, that's a great way to satisfy both
camps :
1- the french-speaking people who want to
know what they're buying, not just because they
want to, but they also have the right, Canada being
officialy bilingual, to be equally informed.

2- the handfull of purist who thinks that french is ugly
or that a single word of french will ruin the cover,
thus ruining their whole movie experience. I even
heard someone refusing to buy Spider-Man with a french
cover, where the only french text is a tiny "version francaise" below the title.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I even heard someone refusing to buy Spider-Man with a french cover, where the only french text is a tiny "version francaise" below the title.
Sometimes it just isn't about the artwork, it's merely based on principle. I can't say that I blame anyone for refusing to purchase the disc because of the French text - no matter how small.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
there is a collectible booklet included. the extensive menu mapping is all english, but the chapter lists, intro pages and cover are all bilingual - either french right beside the english on each line or the french on the bottom half of the page.

i hate bilingual covers with a passion but the bilingual booklet's a minor detail.

Rob T

Screenwriter
so with my cheap player that doesn't have a 5.1 decoder attached, I won't be able to watch the movie in english at all?
That's no good! :angry:
It looks like I'll have to get the American version again.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Jeez people, please. Canada is bi, get over it! The Quebouis(sp) have as much right to know what they are buying as Anglo-Canadians. The film was distributed in Canada by Alliance Atlantis, they legally have the rights to distribute the film up here, so there logo should eb on the packaging. This rant brought to you by a ex-Albertan even!

Now, I would love it if Canadian distributors would release reversible packaging where appropriate, but it is NOT the end of the world.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
The best is to include a special booklet in french that explain everything and keep the original package INTACT.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Lance,

I agree 100%!!!

Aaryn,

How is a booklet that will be inside the case helpful to people who want to know more about the product?

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor

a booklet inside, and just a separate translated paper on the back that's not the actual cover art but just a piece of paper. they can slide it inside the plastic if they want, or throw garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks