What's new

Canadian gets ARRESTED bringing THRILLER DVD across the border! (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

There should be a review posted here somewhere as well as another post dealing with the previous controversy.

I feel sorry for the guy but I seriously doubt anything major (jail time) will happen. The lead actress was 22 at the time of filming, although I guess the courts could try saying the hardcore inserts were done by a minor.

I'm really not sure how this "law" works because I remember back in the early 90's that several films that featured nude minors were pulled off various video shelves. I know for certain PRETTY BABY was one of them but that's been released on DVD now so apparently something has changed since then.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
As I understand it, minors can appear nude on film if the situations in which they are depicted are not "obscene", which is how certain films can have underage actors appearing nude, like Pretty Baby, and those two Blue Lagoon ripoffs with Phoebe Cates and Mila Jovovich.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

Despite the labels I sling at them, I have to agree with this in principle. Everybody lies sometime. Lots of people do it at the border to save a few bucks (which is usually why they crossed the border in the first place). I know these people are trained to assume guilt then innocence and to use their best judgement and to look for certain reactions and listen for people who sound TOO nervous ot TOO calm and on and on and on.

Like you, Jeff, I grin and bear it, and have for nearly 15 years of continuous cross-border shopping. To their credit, and even though I still think they hire a lot of neanderthals (including at least three I went to highschool with), I have only been pulled into secondary four times in those 15 years (most recently when ALL my Deep Discount 20% off sale discs were at my U.S. post box on the same day and I was just too lazy to be creative). I have lied to them on occasion, and will routinely downgrade the value of many online orders (since a lot of companies, including Deep Discount, don't list prices on their invoices), but I would never take James' tactic of deliberately doing whatever to antagonize them because of a personal bias.

The unofficial rule, or so I'm told, is that on a day trip, you're allowed to bring something like $60 back into the country. Not sure if that's in Canadian or US dollars, so I usually declare it in the latter, but many's the time you'll get a customs booth officer who's either in a good mood or just doesn't want to be bothered filling out the forms. Apropos of nothing, my girlfriend and I went over last weekend. I bought about $50 in books and DVDs, she picked up a $200 Kitchenaid Mixer (originally $350 before sale price and discounts and Goodwill clothing donation and store card activation on my part). We were certain we'd have to pay duty, which would still make it a huge savings over the Canadian price ($450 PLUS tax), but the old bitty let us through! I was so envious of my girlfriend's new toy because of this! Sometimes honesty is rewarded, I suppose.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think you are only allowed $20CAN before they can tax you on a day trip. As for bringing plants across, that is a no no, and has to do with insects. I've seen agents disposing of a semi load worth of palms at Home Depot due to bugs on them.

As for dealing with customs, I find being honest the best policy. Sometimes they will go overboard in their questioning (usually the US guards), but I just play along and let them do their job. Unless I'm bringing back high value items, they usually just let it go, however they do prefer seeing some paperwork to back up your declaration, I just keep it handy so we can do all the business at the window, rather than inside.

One time I really baffled them when I brought back 12 jars of Reese Peanut Butter (can't buy it up here) from a trip south. They popped open the trunk and I watch 1 customs person turn into 2, then 3 through my rear-view. Then the customs guy comes up and goes "that must be some tasty peanut butter" and waved me on. I almost burst out laughing on the spot.

And yes, plants and fruits/vegetables are a HUGE no-no at border crossings.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Americans can leave Canada with $200 bucks worth of goodies after spending an afternoon here. Canadians are allowed zero unless we have been 48 hours in the U.S.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

If they can collect $3.00 on the items, they can send you in to pay. That is where the $20.00cdn threshold comes in. It depends on the item Since books only incure the 7% GST, you can purchase around $42.00cdn worth before you would have to pay.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Interestingly, I called our US crossing today to inquire about importing goods into the US - specifically mailing used DVDs from the US. I was told I would need to pay $5US per crossing for a commercial license for my car if I were to do this. They don't tax the goods, just the transportation used. Yet another cost of doing business.

Also, I'd be very cautious about trying to import liquor into Canada. A long time ago my former girlfriend bought a couple of six packs of vodka coolers in the US (about $4 a pack) and was charged $42CAN in duties and taxes. They calculate the amount on the total volume of liquid based on what it is derived from. Needless to say, she was NOT very happy - especially since the coolers were made in Canada by Seagrams, but not available in Canada.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

Well it was her fault for not checking first. You cannot bring any alcohol into Canada without paying a hefty fee unless you have been gone for at least 48 hours.

She did not have to pay. She could have abandoned the coolers and have them pour them out or returned them to the store.

It doesn't matter if an item is made in Canada, if you buy it in the US it is considered US goods.

Also something that has not been mentioned yet: There is a 24 hour exemption. It is $50.00 canadian and cannot be alcohol, but if you have goods over $50.00 you have to pay on the whole amount. The $50 is not deducted from the total like it is on the other exemptions.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Yes, but I would suspect that the vast majority of people wouldn't check first, which is why I mentioned it. I'm sure the guy who was arrested could have checked first too.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Buy a boat.

We have some friends that boat over to the US for dinner on occassion. All they're supposed to do is call customs and tell them when they're leaving and when they're returning.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
A couple of friends of mine in a heavy metal band came through from the US stating they were tourists, since they didn't have a work permit. They apparently got some funny looks when the customs officers opened the trunk and found a whole pile of leather wear in there...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks