What's new

Canada gets some good candy and potato chips (1 Viewer)

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
When I was a kid my grandma would take us across the border every other week to stock up on fine Canadian snack foods. It must be that UK influence -- they just know how to do candy right.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ah...so the Smarties don't have milk chocolate in them like they do up here - strange!

I also found out that Mountain Dew up here has no caffeine in it - something about Canadian regulations on how only dark soda can have it. Strange.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

It's not as bad as it sounds; it's actually quite enjoyable. Cheese curds are used; they're sprinkled on the fries and gravy is poured over. It's one of the few things I missed when I moved to Ohio.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

What Americans refer to as Smarties are actually Rockets in Canada.

I visit Ontario at least twice a year and I usually pick up a few snacks while I'm there. Lay's in the US have added dill pickle chips to their regular selection, but not all dressed (still my favourite flavour). As for candy bars, I stock up on Smarties, Mr. Big (increasingly difficult to find in supermarkets, for some reason) and Kinder Surprise. Once in a while I'll add Oh Henry! bars (for a peanut fix).

James T

Screenwriter

I actually bought a can of Mountain Dew for the first time in awhile and I noticed that they now list it as an energy drink, along with a guideline of how many cans you should drink a day.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Smarties over this side of the Herring Pond are very much like M and Ms (and predate them in the UK by decades), only with (if I remember correctly)a slightly thicker sugar coating (or it may be thinner - it's years since I ate them). The nearest we have to Smarties with a sugar centre are Skittles I think.

Labelling of candies can differ markedly in the UK and elsewhere. Mars Bars over here are a candy bar consisting of chocolate covering a layer of caramel on top of fudge. I think this is what's called a Milky Way in the USA, but a Milky Way in the UK is a chocolate-coated light mousse/fudge bar.

However, you guys have a very limited range of flavours for potato chips. Off the top of my head, the following can easily be found in the UK:

plain with no salt (add your own to taste)
ready salted
salt and vinegar
cheese and onion , plus the epicurean varieties: vintage cheddar with pickled shallots, five cheese and onion, etc
chicken tikka
green curry
baked bean
tomato ketchup
Bovril (very rich beef flavour)
Marmite (intensely savoury yeast flavour)
Chinese spare rib
salsa
cheese
turkey and stuffing
roast lamb and mint sauce
roast beef
roast chicken
Thai sweet chilli chicken
lemongrass
hedgehog (yes, you read it correctly - tastes like chicken, because that's what it is; it's illegal to eat hedgehogs)
venison
brie and cranberry
BBQ beef
prawn cocktail
sour cream and onion
dill
jalapeno pepper
and loads more, plus seasonal varieties
And nearly all available in the choice of standard or pan fried.
And that's before you get to the choice of potato, maize, or rice flour as the basis for the crisps.

Now I'm feeling hungry ...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Hey, I love poutine, I just think the chips would be rank (like the chicken ones).

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I love the dark chocolate Milky Way, whatever it's called.

From your list of flavors, I've personally seen at least 10 or so around here in New Jersey.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
I don't usually venture into After Hours, but the Canadian food thread caught my eye. Having lived in Quebec and Ontario for a couple of years, I can definitely say that the variety of potato chip flavors surprised and delighted me. My faves are dill pickle and all dressed (which, as I recall, is like barbecue and salt-n-vinegar combined).

Also, the best fruit slice candy in the world comes from Winnepeg, Pizazz Juicy Jellies, which I have a heck of a time finding in the States at a reasonable price.

And poutine, while it sounds strange to the uninitiated, is actually quite tasty and filling on a cold Canadian winter evening.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
What struck me weird was fries or poutine being offered as a side with pizza. The idea of having a side with pizza seemed odd (even though it's not that different from having an appetizer).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i should add that i did also buy 2 different mars bars.

plain mars and mars energy.

we used to have a mars bar.
that is now snickers with almonds.

mars energy seems to be a milky way bar.
i had a mars energy today and it was delicious.

i had a coffee crisp yesterday and it was very close to a bar we used to have called Barnone.
barnone was a wafer covered with chocolate with some crushed peanuts on top.

my favorite bar ever.
for some reason hershey decided to make it like a twix by adding chewy caramal. this killed the bar and was shortly pulled from the market.:angry:

coffee crisp is very close to the same thing.

too bad i cant get them here.
i have one left.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"There was a story on the national news last week (CBS, I believe) about a guy that buys these foreign Kit Kats and other candy bars advertised as "special editions" and makes a killing selling them on the Internet. They showed one oddball that keeps a two-year old box of dark Kit-Kats in the fridge."

lol, i wonder what he would think of me if i listed all the ltd ed candy i have in my freezer downstairs.

btw i just found a new ltd ed hershey bar.
at bed bath and beyond of all places.

mocha almond.

this thing smells just like a delicious cup
of mocha starbucks coffee.
and it tastes delicious too.

i guess this will have to do in steadof coffee crisp.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I loved Smarties growing up, they were one of the first things to be eaten at Halloween when I got my haul home.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
Letting them slowly disolve on your tongue is the best!

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Check out this list of internationally-available KIT KAT bars (from Wikipedia with my emphasis):

It looks like Japan has the best "exotic" varieties.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks