What's new

Can you name episodes of TV shows that have been edited on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As noted in previous threads on Angel:

Season 2, episode 20 is missing a short scene at the beginning in Caritas.

Season 3, episode 3 is missing a single line of dialogue at the opening ("That night still haunts me").

Also, Sex and the City, season 2, episode 5 ("Four Women and a Funeral"): In an episode with the theme of death, the unseen man who rescues Samantha from social "death" was originally identified as JFK, Jr. When he subsequently died in a plane crash, the name was changed to Leonardo DiCaprio. (I first noticed this on DVD, but it's possible that the change was made earlier for broadcast reruns.)

M.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
The whole JFK Jr. thing is out of control. I mean ok, he died, but why should they change the mention of his name because of it? JFK Jr's death didn't cause the episodes of Seinfeld to change their stories involving him, or mention of his name, others should take note and follow suit. I think it's out of control. Kind of reminds me of how the World Trade center was digitally removed in Spiderman. Ridiculous! I mean, the buildings were up when the movie was shot, so why not leave them in? Another one that I remember was the show "The Greatest American Hero". The main character was named Ralph Hinkley. When Ronald Reagan was shot by John Hinkley, they immediately re-dubbed any mention of Hinkley on that show to "Hanley"...as soon as the wind blew over, a couple of weeks later, they went back to his original name of Hinkley...Ridiculous.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I don't know the real reason why this portion of the MTMS Christmas episode was cut on the dvd release, but I do know that I bought an official (i.e. not bootlegged) vhs copy of this episode a few years ago and the footage was in it - completely uncut! It looked fine, so I really can't understand FOX's cut, unless it was for some weird music right.

Gary "I agree with others - this is a very disturbing trend!" OS

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
In the pilot of Futurama they changed the line "JFK Jr. Airport" to "Radio City Mutant Hall" after its original airing. That's how it appears on the DVD and they even talk about it in the commentary. If you wanna hear the original line, check out the pilot animatics in the extras section.

Chris

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there something missing from one of the King of the Hill DVDs? I remember someone posting about it on HTF, but I can't seem to find it now. I think it was something during the ending credits of one episode that mentioned "The X-Files".

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
The episode of The Simpsons where Bart decapitates Jebadiah (sp?) Springfield's statue is missing some dialogue during Bart's speech near the end. It looks to me that this epsiode is the syndicated version.

They also removed an Ossama joke from a Family Guy episode.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The syndicated version doesn't have Homer and Bart walking by at the end, with Homer saying "Most mobs aren't this nice" during the executive producer credit. This part is on the DVD, though.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, first I'd say that remastering isn't the only reason fox lost money on MTM season 1, although that's a big part of it. I suspect that the scene was edited for the reason mentioned above dealing with music rights. It is a problem that plagues older shows that never thought that they'd be able to sell them on mass to the public and newer shows like Malcolm in the Middle are not imune. I thought I read in the review of In Living Color season 1 at IGN that some of the musical sequences were cut but I'm not sure though.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I seriously doubt it was edited for music rights, because the scene plays long enough to show an orchestra on TV and enough for us to hear the song being played is "White Christmas". If the cut would've been over music rights, I don't think they would've shown the scene at all. Just my opinion.

Carlos.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well Carlos, it may be that they are only allowed to play a certain number of seconds of a song before they have to pay for it.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
George, I believe that may be true. I've seen a few shows where guests have started singing a song then stopped after a line or so, with the guest or host then saying "Any more, and we'd have to pay for it." And I've seen instances where a guest sings "too much," and the host lets everyone know that "we'll have to pay for that now!"

Reminds me of some Simpsons episode where Krusty The Clown is hosting some kind of benefit. He walks onstage in his tuxedo and starts singing:

"I'm a nice guy, I'm a helluva guy...Stop! Stop the music! Any more and we'll have to pay for the song!"

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sanford & Son episodes cut:

"Blood is Thicker than Junk" - season 2
"This Little TV Went to Market" - season 3

I have suggested complaining to the Better Business Bureau, as many of these companies are listening-impaired, especially Columbia.

I really think this needs to be against the law. Period.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The Red Dwarf series 2 episode "Kryten" was edited. The line "They've got less meat on them than a Chicken McNugget" had the "Mc" dubbed out of it. They mention in the commentary that this was for legal reasons.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Sanford & Son episodes cut:

"Blood is Thicker than Junk" - season 2
"This Little TV Went to Market" - season 3

What exactly is cut? Is there a line of dialogue missing, music or a scene?

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I would have more respect for the studios if they at least put a disclaimer on TV DVDs that state:

"The programs on this disc are not as they were originally broadcast due to (fill in the blank)" There could be legitemate reasons - music rights, lost or bad originals, etc.

At least I'll be able to make a better purchasing decision and won't be upset after the fact. But that makes too much sense, doesn't it?

Randy_Cre

Agent
I believe episodes #1 & 7 from Barney Miller Season 1 are from the syndication cuts. Other episodes run about 24 1/2 minutes, those two run 22 1/2.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the show could say if these were the syndication cuts, or edited for a different reason. The subject matter of the two episodes didn't appear to be anything controversial or since deemed 'insensitive' so I can only assume the originals were not available.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I just think it boils down to the people at the Studio not knowing what they are doing.....same that happened with Roots...the footage exists, but are they smart enough and do they care enough to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks