What's new

Can you help me fix my network (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I once had a well running network. I had my upstairs aand downstairs computers running XP and a network drive (WD Netcenter) for backups. I could exchange files, access the internet and even game between them. It was nice.

Nice, that is, until I bought a Vista laptop. Oh, it was able to see the wireless internet connection just fine. (I life in a rural area and have an unsecured network - but I don't broadcast the ID for just a little security)

Well, I wasn't content just to access the internet with it. I wanted to be able to swap files and game. Trouble is - I can't see the XP computers or even the WD Netcetner on it.

Then - for added fun I bought an iMac. It too can see the Wireless internet - and even the WD Netcenter.

The Vista can't see the MAC, the WD or the XP. (NAMED US-PC)

The XPs won't see the Vista or the MAC (but can see the WD) (Named Upstairs and Downstairs)

The iMac wont see the Vista or the XP (but can see the WD) (Named iMac)

And they ALL can access the wireless internet connection (same router).....

Here is a screenshot of the Vista Network Map. Hell if I can make sense of it.

Can you help me?

I have 'My documents' set to share on all the MS computers. I have downloaded the XP patch. The network name is MSHOME. Now how do I get to swap files? How do I get the Netcenter working? (192.168.2.24 is it's network address) The Netcenter is the most important part of all...

I've searched all over the internet and found many articles on the subject, but none which did any good. The version of Vista I have is Home.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Have you run the network setup Wizard on each of the Windows machines? (Sorry, know nothing about networking Macs.)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
yes, done the wizard, but they all expect the network to be populated by the same OS. I bet there's money to be made if someone could make a 'universal' network wizard....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks