Can you display a computer on....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nick Montgomery, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Nick Montgomery

Can you display a computer on a direct view HDTV? I want to be able to hook a computer up to my HT setup so that I can surf the web and other stuff from the comfort of my sofa. I am not sure if this is possible or safe. I tried this on my current 36" analog TV, but I found out is does not have the resolution to display a computer properly.

I would appreciate any recomendations of what TV to look for or any websites on this subject. I want another 36" tube TV.

--Thanks

2. Gary SI

Gary SI Stunt Coordinator

Hi Nick,
    Do you have a TV out on your graphics card ?
    If you do it should work. But if you have a Mac you need to buy a TV out adapter ( unless you have an older Mac, like me [​IMG] )
    You will probly have to change your resultion , not many tv`s can handle 600X800 or higher.
    But with a dedicated TV out you shouldn`t have to do anything but hook it up.
    I hope this helps !!
    Gary [​IMG]

3. Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd Extra

Nick-I've heard of actual TVs having a DVI (or VGA, you can get an adapter) input in the back. This is what you want. Anything else (even s-video) would look like crap. A Computer monitor is much more refined to handle PC games than a TV.

4. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Nick,

Check out this guy's setup: Monivision 36"

I have the 30" widescreen version of this set and it's great for HTPC. The reason is that these sets are really large scale computer monitors with inputs for component (HDTV), S-Video, composite and VGA, which means you simply connect your VGA cable right into the back and your good to go. They do 720p natively also. Here's a link to the one I bought: 30" Monivision

5. Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd Extra

Or you could use a Front Projector, and get 120" of gaming goodness, [​IMG]

6. Nick Montgomery

Thanks guys for the replies...

That Monivision looks like what I need. I would get the 4:3 one rather than the widescreen for the same reasons as the guy in the link above. I would be watching standard 4:3 TV most of the time. Now the really hard part is convincing the wife that we really need a new TV. [​IMG] Too bad they don't sell'em at Best Buy. 24 months no intrest!