What's new

Can you display a computer on.... (1 Viewer)

Can you display a computer on a direct view HDTV? I want to be able to hook a computer up to my HT setup so that I can surf the web and other stuff from the comfort of my sofa. I am not sure if this is possible or safe. I tried this on my current 36" analog TV, but I found out is does not have the resolution to display a computer properly.

I would appreciate any recomendations of what TV to look for or any websites on this subject. I want another 36" tube TV.

--Thanks

Gary SI

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Nick,
Do you have a TV out on your graphics card ?
If you do it should work. But if you have a Mac you need to buy a TV out adapter ( unless you have an older Mac, like me :frowning: )
You will probly have to change your resultion , not many tv`s can handle 600X800 or higher.
But with a dedicated TV out you shouldn`t have to do anything but hook it up.
I hope this helps !!
Gary ;)

Nick-I've heard of actual TVs having a DVI (or VGA, you can get an adapter) input in the back. This is what you want. Anything else (even s-video) would look like crap. A Computer monitor is much more refined to handle PC games than a TV.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Nick,

Check out this guy's setup: Monivision 36"

I have the 30" widescreen version of this set and it's great for HTPC. The reason is that these sets are really large scale computer monitors with inputs for component (HDTV), S-Video, composite and VGA, which means you simply connect your VGA cable right into the back and your good to go. They do 720p natively also. Here's a link to the one I bought: 30" Monivision

Thanks guys for the replies...

That Monivision looks like what I need. I would get the 4:3 one rather than the widescreen for the same reasons as the guy in the link above. I would be watching standard 4:3 TV most of the time. Now the really hard part is convincing the wife that we really need a new TV. :) Too bad they don't sell'em at Best Buy. 24 months no intrest!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks