Can you cut off Phillips easy fit connectors???

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by tgdl22471, Jan 21, 2013.

1. tgdl22471

tgdl22471 Auditioning

Hi Newbie here, I think I have dropped a boob..I have bought some cheap Phillips speakers not realizing that they have those easy fit connectors. Question is can I cut the connectors off and use them on a Sony AV amplifier?, I assume the wiring must be the same as normal twin speaker wire?. Thanks Tez

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    If your Sony can handle 3ohm speakers and you keep the volume turned up where you only deliver 5-8 watts.

3. tgdl22471

tgdl22471 Auditioning

I dont know where it specifies what ohms the receiver can handle, are you saying that these speakers wont work correctly?. Thanks

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Absolutely that is what I'm getting at. Right next to your speaker terminals on the Sony it will show an "ohm range"...probably marked 8-16. Add to that this AVR is based on "real beef"...not a PMPO rainbows and unicorns make believe rating. Meaning these speakers only handle 10-ish watts(total guess on my part...but with 30-ish years of dealing with PMPO crap...probably close). Add in that these are horribly inefficient(again a guess, but in 30 years...I've NEVER seen an efficient HTiB speaker)... Not compatible.

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    True story(and I like picking on Samsung...) My cousin had this dvd/HTiB thing that died. I wanted to see exactly what the speakers were capable of. So I dusted off a Kenwood M2A. The Kenwood produces an easy 220wpc at 8 own. 440 at 4 and since these were 3...I was guessing 500-ish. And I figured what the heck...this PMPO/Rainbows&Unicorns/Fairy Dust 170 watt per channel speaker set would be up to the task. I broke out some AC/DC Highway to Hell and these speaker made it about 45 seconds before they caught on fire...The Kenwood just kept on going...

6. tgdl22471

tgdl22471 Auditioning

Ok point taken, in saying that I love ACDC so watching some speakers blow up while playing highway to hell would be awsome :)

7. goddard3100

goddard3100 Auditioning

if you do chop them off i real could use them. i have a Philips system and have one that is damaged and can't find a replacement for it any where...which really sucks, because i no longer have use of my center channel because of it..