What's new

can Yamaha YHT-196 provide dolby digital sourround sound for TV channel (supported). ?? (1 Viewer)

ashu

Auditioning
Real Name
ashu
Yamaha YHT-196 a good AV receiver but have some doubts : :rolleyes: 1) can Yamaha YHT-196 provide dolby digital sourround sound for TV channel (supported). ?? :confused: 2) I have Toshiba 32PB200 LET TV, can YHT 196 play dolby digital sound of my satellite set top box even if my TV doesn't have/support ARC ? 3) I heard somewhere once connected HDMI out from YHT to TV , audio not appear for TV those not supported ARC ( audio reverse channel) and need a seperate cable to connect to YHT , if it is the case than will it be good quality ? can someone provide info for Toshiba 32PB200 LET TV ( I searched a lot but couldn't get :( ) :) thakns in advance.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The YHT-196 is a fine receiver. The bets way to solve the problem of not having ARC is to not connect the inputs directly to the TV. The set-top box should be connected directly to the receiver. You didn't list the make/model for the set-top, but assuming it has HDMI or a digital connection (either optical or coax) you'l be good to go. And yes, almost all TVs only output stereo for everything except its internally decoded over-the-air signal.

ashu

Auditioning
Real Name
ashu
thanks Anderson, yes my set top box have HDMI out , and it provide Dolby digital sound for some channels. so if i connect it with YHT-196 through HDMI and then connect my TV (which might not support ARC) to YHT-196 through HDMI then will I be able to get sound in YHT as well as in my TV ? or only in YHT ? :confused:

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
then will I be able to get sound in YHT as well as in my TV ? or only in YHT ?
Only through the YHT. To have it in both places you would need a receiver with audio passthrough. I think once you get used to the sounds from the receiver, you won't be interested in hearing the sound from the TV. But if your set-top box also has an audio out you could try conecting that to the TV in addition to the HDMI connection. Sometimes that works, other time the box shuts off the audio if there's an HDMI also connected.

ashu

Auditioning
Real Name
ashu
thanks again :) even if my LED TV does not have ARC HDMI port (rather a old HDMI) I will not get any problem (like no sound etc) in set up like below ?? :confused: set top box ------ ( HDMI )------> AV receiver -------(HDMI) ---- > LED TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks