What's new

Can We Expect Pea Soup on a Priest Any Time Soon? (1 Viewer)

Linksys 845c

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bobby Copeland
Does anyone have any information regarding a Blu ray release from Warner on the original EXORCIST? I would absolutely LOVE a boxed set of the series, like they did this past Halloween for the standard DVDs, but I would settle for the original film -- especially The Version You've Never Seen...

It would be interesting to see if Warner would include the pretty awesome Dolby EX track from the Version You've Never Seen DVD or if they would remaster/include a Dolby TrueHD mix...:eek:

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
The Version You've Never Seen is, by definition, not the original film. It was an interesting bit of self-indulgence by the writer, but the original cut is the only one I'd buy.

Linksys 845c

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bobby Copeland

LOL...indeed...the original cut should be included, too...

Sometimes I wish I would have caved and bought that collection pack from last Halloween, because it included both cuts of the first film, but they were in those awful thin packs and I already owned all the films separately except for THE HERETIC...INCLUDING Schraeder's cut of the prequel project, DOMINION, which I thought was awful and worse than Harlin's vision...

:eek:

Linksys 845c

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bobby Copeland

Yes, Ken, technically that's correct; I just meant that SOME form of EXORCIST should come to Blu ray...and was wondering if Warner had any plans to do so.

I'm aware of the whole Blatty vs. Friedken fiasco regarding the restored footage and the hoopla that surrounded this picture. :)

Linksys 845c

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bobby Copeland

As a MASSIVE fan of this picture and categorizing it as one of my favorite films of all time and sitting through every incarnation of its home video deliveries, I have to say that I enjoy the CGI additions of Pazuzu on the walls and doors, and the added background score that accompanies certain scenes -- such as when Burstyn is closing Blair's window -- and you can hear that underlying synthesized hum on TVYNS -- of course, that's just my opinion, and of course there are certain scenes in that cut I'm just not sure of, such as the Spider Walk sequence and the final walking-off shot of Kinderman and Dyer...

BUT, I totally respect the original cut of the film and anyone else who prefers it more.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Never say never but I think Warner will have both versions on the disc whenever they release it. If only because they must know that there's a vocal group who only want the original version.

Personally, I like the original version more but I love the added scene where Merrin and Karras are taking a break and sitting on the steps during the exorcism.

Linksys 845c

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bobby Copeland

Indeed...I agree...:emoji_thumbsup:

But, there's no word on any release for this title on high def?

TerryPM

Agent
This was in the first batch of DVDs Warner released, and the first DVD I bought back in 1997 I believe. I hope they follow suit and release in soon on BR.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

I'm sure we'll both be labeled as blasphemous there because I wholeheartedly agree with you. Arguable assertions of more artistic direction and more mature, capable writing on behalf of DOMINION aside, the Pazuzu demon in DOMINION is most assuredly not the Pazuzu in THE EXORCIST. It's like the film lives and breathes in an entirely different, unconnected universe from THE EXORCIST. Harlin's prequel, while a pale shadow of what it could/should have been (EXORCIST III got much closer to nailing a proper sequel), at least feels like it exists in the same reality as the original film.

Linksys 845c

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bobby Copeland

Agreed, wholeheartedly, Terry...I didn't buy the original disc from Warner of the original cut of the film, but I did get Warner's snapper cased "Version You've Never Seen" and while the transfer and audio aren't bad considering the age, etc., it would still benefit from high def/Blu ray. :emoji_thumbsup:

Linksys 845c

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bobby Copeland

ABSOLUTELY agreed, Travis...the demon -- and approach -- of Schraeder's DOMINION was absolutely not the Pazuzu of Exorcist. And you are 100 percent right...Exorcist III was arguably the best "sequel," "prequel" or "part" of the franchise since the original...it really was an underrated film. Sure, Karras' exorcism felt -- and was (by Morgan Creek) -- tacked on at the end and the plot gets so confusing sometimes with what was going on with the Gemini killer and what it had to do with "Pazuzu," it still was a story that kept with the feel of the Exorcist films...and, "Legion" was a great book by Blatty, upon which it was based...

But yes, Harlin's "Exorcist: The Beginning," while upon first watch is a hack horror job, it keeps more in line with the younger Merrin character and him finding the Pazuzu statue...the whole angle Schraeder went with on Dominion was totally off the rails; I mean, what was the deal with the "Cheche" boy and his possession? It was ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks