What's new

Can two guys haul a 200lb rptv up a flight of stairs? (1 Viewer)

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Subject says it all.

Is that more than a buddy and myself should try and bite off? I am 26 so am not worried about hurting myself. But I dont want to try something impossible either and drop the thing down the stairs either.

2 flights at a 45 degree incline or so. No bends but the hallway is not very wide. There would be a decent resting place halfway.

Thanks

-rob

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I built a hole in my bedroom wall so the tv is in the closet and we can see it in the bedroom about 5 feet up.
Sony Wega 32" Flat screen weighs over 200 and I thought about it forever how to get it in the hole without putting it through the floor.
I rented a lift. If that gets away at the top it could do serious damage to the house and your friend....lefty.

You or your friend slip and it'll be ugly.
Go to a tool rental store and tell them the details and see what them have. Some will rent it for a few hours which is way more than you need

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I have a 36" sony. 225lbs. I moved it up and down several flights of stairs with a friend. Depends on you really. If your 5'5" and 110 lbs. maybe not....:D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You should be. You can hurt your back with less than 200lbs if you don't use good lifting technique. It happened to me last year, up a flight of stairs, I was 26 as well and stronger than average.

--
H

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I helped a buddy of mine move a 57" RPTV down 1 flight and out of his house. Later we pulled put it into his new house which involved unloading from it from a truck and taking it up a small porch. I was 27 at the time and am in pretty good shape. We got the job done but it was extremely difficult. The hard part was not dealing with the weight but trying to be very delicate with it while dealing with the weight. It is one thing to push 200 pounds up into the back of a pickup truck. It is a completely different thing to try and do it softly. I thing we were both a nervous wreck the whole time worry that we were going to break something.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Greg, 57" Sony, 195 lbs.

That is really my concern too Matt. Would you do it again i guess is my question. also, would it make it easier to take it out of the box? Probably not worth losing the protection it offers...

-rob

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I helped move a 200+ pound 36" direct-view CRT Sony TV down several sets of stairs (including 20 cement steps outside) back in January and I think I'm still sore from it. It was me and another big guy, and we used a wheeled dolly--the wheels sunk into his front yard from the weight. After we moved it into his girlfriend's father's house, we swore we would NEVER move the thing again.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Holdem being young doesn't make you invincible. Its fairly easy to do though and I've moved several large TV's up and down flights of stairs with a friend or two. Just make sure you wrap the screen with something soft that won't scratch the screen and if possble rent/borrow/buy some lifting straps as they're amazing for this sort of work

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Wow, I went back and read my last post and I should have read over it a little better before I submitted it. Sorry guys/ gals.

Rob, I think if I did it again I would be better prepared. Andrew stated getting some lifting straps and that sounds like a good idea. We didn't have anything and the TV was out of the box. It was a very stressful and time consuming project and we did it right in the middle of his move. Another thing I would attempt to do would be to get some more help. If not for the strength then for the eyes and hands so we didn't have to worry about beating and scratching the TV up so much.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Good advice everyone.

Liftiing straps and a few extra sets of eyes.

If you dont hear back from me than consider me hospitalized!

-rob

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Get extra bodies, but not to help lift (or for their eyes) but as a backup in case one of the 2 of you has a problem. If you find yourself in a predicament, you might not be in a position to put the set down. Having others around to hold onto the set while you get a better footing, may be key.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I had a couple of 300 pound amoires that I had to move up a flight of stairs into the bedroom. No problem at all...I did it with one hand. Used said hand to call professional movers for a couple hundred bucks.....and since I had to pay for minimum time anyway, I had them move a couple of other items as well.

Mort (who is old enough to know you can hurt yourself no matter how young or strong you are ;) )

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Three of us moved a 250 lb Sony Wega up one flight of stairs. The next time, I used 5 guys to move it down the stairs, and then into the new house.

More men are better for this sort of thing.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Many heavy items can be moved without ever actually lifting them.
If you're concerned about doing it safely, hire a pro.
Some years ago when my 35" Mitsubishi direct view arrived in a nearby city I said I'd come and get it. It was in a huge carton of course. I got it into my truck and into my home theater without any stress. By myself. Well, me and my trusty 2 wheel dollie. Of couse I was only in my early fifties then. ;)
After I unboxed it I called a neighbor and he helped me put it on a table. I can't pick up a 210 lb. TV by myself.
A couple of months ago me and 2 strong young men in their 20s moved a piano from a U-Haul into my house. There were stairsteps involved just to keep it interesting. I rented a couple of those carpet covered rolling platforms and checked online for advice.
The advice was, "Don't do it! Hire a pro!"
We decided a pro would not be available at a reasonable price on a Sunday morning. The piano and the 3 of us did just fine.
Use your big brain and think it through.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
A friend and I moved a 53" Sony RPTV up and down a stairway with two switchbacks. Very hard, but we did it.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Can't you take the TV apart and get the top of the cabinent off? My 57" Hitachi comes apart into 2 pieces.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Pros have cool toys like stair crawlers. They're platforms with a wheel & tread combination on the bottom. They'll keep whatever is on the platform level while climbing up and down stairs. Having seen these in action at work, I highly recommend them.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
My recommendation - don't even think about it. Worst case, you get yourself a slipped disc or injure your spine. Not a good idea, not even a little bit.

For a completely unrelated reason, I ended up having neck surgery - double fusion, anterior cervical. Take it from me - you don't want to go through that if you can avoid it! You can figure on taking a year to completely heal up; the cost is very high vs moving (25k vs 500 max. for movers). I had no real choice in the matter, not if I wanted permanent relief.

As my doc told me, it matters not what age you are. He has seen the equivalent of 70 year old discs in a teenager and vice versa in a 90 year old. So don't consider yourself invincible; leave the matter to pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks