What's new

Can this speeding ticket be dismissed? (1 Viewer)

bakester

Auditioning
Real Name
Nancy
Okay - I got a ticket in Atoka, Oklahoma and the officer was RUDE! I was not speeding and even had cars going by me. He said I was going 67 in a 45 which, there was no way - I went back to look where the location was he cited me at and it's not even a 45 mph zone yet. How far can radars detect you? It was several miles up the road that we passed the officer and I thought to myself how lucky those cars were that they weren't getting pulled over - then later on down the road he came up behind me and pulled me over - it was unbelievable. Can they do that? It is a bad scam - you won't believe how many people have told me that they got a ticket in Atoka. It must be their main revenue in that town. It sounds like they are looking for women driving by themselves. Is there anything that can be done about this? It is my word against his and you know they won't listen to a woman over their officers. Should I fight it?

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Welcome to the HTF. Resurrecting a 4-year old thread, huh? You'll fit in nicely.

As to what you posted, the time and place to fight your battle will be in court - nobody here will be able to give you accurate info on the officer's rudeness, how fast you were going, or whether the speed limit was 45 or not because we weren't there to see what you did or didn't do and where. Good luck fighting it; hope you're successful.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If you Google "Can a speeding ticket be dismissed?" This thread is the 9th result. There have been a lot of threads coming back alive lately.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this software is apparently much more Google friendly than the vBulletin version was. At first I thought all of these random 1 or 2 post members were spam bots, but then I realized the posts related to the topic at hand (though not necessarily the forum at large...)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Nancy, I can imagine you were searching for others who had encountered a speed trap in Atoka and happened to find us. Welcome aboard. I hope you'll look around and decide to stay.

I'm in Texas, so I benefit from the one defensive driving course a year rule. The rest of that year is kind of nerve-wracking. I got a ticket around July 4, 2006, and I was glad when the next one rolled around. Luckily, I haven't gotten one since (knock on wood). The one I got was a speed trap. These motorcycle cops were hiding in the shade of a tree at the bottom of a hill. I had been going the speed limit and got up over it from the momentum of going downhill, and they were pulling over one driver after another. I didn't go down that street for a couple of years, but I went down last Sunday. They were in the same place. Ka-CHING! In that part of town, they are good at finding little nooks and crannies to hide in. I learned my lesson and drive slow around there.

Another time, I got trapped in a construction zone and got double the fine. There were no construction workers present, so I got ripped off. The legislature soon thereafter clarified that workers had to be present for the double fine to apply. But, they had about ten cars pulled over when they got me. Seeing that, I wryly said to the cop, "So, no chance of talking my way out of this one?" With no humor at all, he looked at the other cars and said, "Eh, uh uh."

Fighting tickets can sometimes help. I was on a jury a couple of years ago for this girl who was fighting her ticket. She was defending herself and clearly didn't know what she was doing. She tried to argue that she was unconvinced that the radar gun was properly calibrated. The ticketing officer was present and he walked us through how he calibrates it before and after every shift. I'm not sure I really believe that, but she abandoned the defense pretty quickly. One of the jurors knew the area she was caught at and said it was a big speed trap and that they do hide at the bottom of the hill, but she had gotten several tickets there and should have known better. At any rate, the rest of the jury decided to go easy on her. We decided to not release her from the ticket but to reduce the fine by about a hundred dollars. She probably wasn't happy, but at least it was a reduction.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just tell the judge that you were speeding because your friend was going to commit suicide because he could never become a banker (or that he never had an air conditioner)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Originally Posted by drobbins

If you Google "Can a speeding ticket be dismissed?" This thread is the 9th result. There have been a lot of threads coming back alive lately.
True, but you'd think someone looking for answers on this topic would be better served by those first 8 results rather than opinions on a forum for home theater enthusiasts. (Not that I'm sure Ron and Parker mind the increased exposure and site traffic, though.)

I'm just wondering how well the forum is served by people with no interest in home theater, who come here for a singular issue and, once resolved, likely do not contribute in any further way (or even return, for that matter.)
Edited by Nathan*W - 8/4/2009 at 12:12 am GMT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks