What's new

Can someone recommend some Rolling Stones discs? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hot Rocks is, IMO, the best intro, since practically every track is strong and enjoyable, and it's cheaper than the Singles Collection. As for albums, I think there's a reason that everyone is recommending Let It Bleed and Beggar's Banquet. :) Also, Sticky Fingers is as good and contains my favorite Stones track, one not found on those early compilations- Can't You Hear Me Knockin'.

It's a shame that a thread about the Stones has to involve bashing of hip-hop and rap. It's ironic that people are still treating it as a fad- the same way they did when rock 'n' roll and, say, the Stones came out.

I wonder if it's sad the day you realise you turn into your parents?

If anyone actually cares, I believe the difference between rap and hip-hop is that rap emphasise the lyrics more and can involve political and social messages or opinions, focusing on the rappers' skill, while hip-hop is more dance and party music, where the rhymes serve the music. Public Enemy might be more of a rap group while Salt-N-Peppa would be hip-hop. However, like everything in pop music these days, the lines are blurred more and more and they are basically the same thing, especially with the mainstream acts.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

Mike - I'm not turning into my parents. I'm 45 and I buy new music, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Wilco, Manson, etc. I try to keep up with new, good music.

What you need to realize is that there was crap 30 years ago, and there's still crap today. Not all, but most of the so called rap and hip hop being churned out today is utter crap. It's hard for me to appreciate a song when the most important lyric in it is Uh.

And...you're right. This thread should not turn into rap bashing.

Over and out on the subject.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone who said Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers is right on the money afaic. But my favorite is Exile. Thats my desert island album. And hey, Their Satanic Majesty's Request has some great tunes!!! Who cares if its a rip-off?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Their Satanic Majesty's Request has some great tunes!!!
Yes, it does. But it also includes some of the band's absolute worst material. "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)" is their "Revolution 9", while "Sing This All Together", "In Another Land" and "The Lantern" are pretty unlistenable as well...

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
while "Sing This All Together", "In Another Land" and "The Lantern" are pretty unlistenable as well...
I think "In Another Land" is the only reason to buy this CD in addition to whichever greatest hits compilation has "She's a Rainbow" and a few others. Of course it's all personal taste; your mileage may be void where prohibited, or whatever it is they say..

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I happen to love In Another Land, as well has The Lantern. 2000 Man, She's a Rainbow, all great. I can think of many worse Stones albums.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Hmmm?

Albums

Aftermath
Between the Buttons
Beggars Banquet
Let it Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

Compilations

40 Licks (only comprehensive career sampler)
Hot Rocks (best of the early years)
More Hot Rocks (rest of the best of the early years)
Singles Collection (mono hit single mixes just the way they sounded on the radio along with B-Sides)

Regards,

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Hey guys I cant seem to find any of the SACD's in CC or BB. What is the best online wource for these albums.

Earle

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Earle,
Just in case (and you may already know this), the SACDs are usually filed with the regular CDs and they do not say anything about being SACDs on the packaging. Any ABKCO disc in the cardboard digipack will be an SACD.

Regards,

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Ken

Thanks for the info. I just got the SACD of Let It Bleed. I like it. I guess Im gonna have to get some more of the Hybrid SACD's. This is so cool, finding some new music that gets me going. Thanks everyone

I wish they would just mark the remasters as SACDs

Earle

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks