What's new

Can someone answer a quick question about Fast Times at Ridgemont High? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I'm wondering if someone can tell me why this movie has an R rating? Believe it or not i've never seen it but I was thinking about picking up the dvd. I don't want to buy it though if it's full of nudity or sexual content. Thanks for any info.

Dan.b

Page

Stunt Coordinator
There is some nudity and a few episodes of sexual intercourse along with a couple of instances of the "F" word. That pretty much pushes it up to the "R" rating.

(The film isn't all sex and nudity and cursing, however, so don't get the wrong idea.)

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
"I don't want to buy it though if it's full of nudity or sexual content. Thanks for any info."

I wouldn't say it's full of nudity and sexual content, but that certainly plays a role in the film.

Against films like American Pie however, it's very tame.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Thanks for the feedback guys.

As for American Pie. I can only recall a topless scene in that movie. I might be wrong though.

Is the nudity in Fast Times more graphic than American Pie?

Dan.b

Page

Stunt Coordinator
Well...teenagers attempting to lose their viginity and teenagers trying to prove how much of a stud they are. (I don't want to spoil the movie for you. I wouldn't consider it gratuitous.)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
There are two instances of (admittedly rather graphic) sex and nudity in the film, but tons of references the whole through (ie. the carrot scene).

Still one of the great teen movies, however - buy with confidence!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
It's a different type of teen movie than American Pie, IMHO. American Pie was much more comedy oriented. Fast Times' scenes of sex, especially the dugout scene
is a bit more graphic don't you think?

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I rented it. The sex doesn't pervade the entire movie like it does in say, Maerican Pie, but what is there is much more graphic. Young girls with older guys (twice their age), teen pregnancy, abortion, it's a lot darker then I expected it to be, honestly. I didn't really care for it that much, I preferred the more lighthearted (although admittedley far more raunchy) American Pie.

My biggest dissapoinentment with the DVD (which I don't own) is that there were added scenes for the TV version I would have liked to have seen, not cut back in, but in a deleted scenes section, and I have also heard the poolhouse scene was cut substantially to get the movie down to an R, another thing I would have liked to have seen. Anyone know any more about this?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
The TV scenes were never intended to be shown in the theatrical version. They were shot for the inevitable TV version. This was seen as sort of a "necessary evil" by everyone involved, but they saw no need to put them on the DVD.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i believe the poolhouse scene originally featured some full frontal male nudity that was thought to be a bit too much.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator

They actually discuss this at length on the DVDs commentary track. Basically, Amy Heckerling's thought behind it was to show how truly awkward things were, and that male nudity would communicate the vulnerability of Mike Damone. Robert Romanus, who played Mike, acted the scene completely nude, as did Jennifer Jason Leigh, and it was shot that way. It was only through the pressure of the MPAA and the studio that it was trimmed down, thus getting the film an "R" rating. If the penis would have stayed in the film (ha ha), it would have gotten an "X" (which of course, was in the days before the also stigmatizing "NC-17" rating).

Jennifer Jason Leigh actually rallied to have the scene kept intact, even if it meant an "X" rating. Personally, I can see where Heckerling was coming from. There is still something of a double-standard when it comes to male vs. female nudity in the movies.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Ah, that explains things about the poolhouse scene. Not really surprising, and there is a double standard about male vs. female nudity. Wonder why. Regardless, thanks for clearing that up.

As for the extra scense, hey, I never said I wanted them in the movie, but a deleted scenes section would have been nice on the DVD.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
One of my favorite films - by the way, it definitely deserved the 'R'.

Would have liked to see more of Phoebe, but her pool scene alone makes this DVD a required purchase. :D

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Just checked the cover and was surprised to learn that Cameron Crowe wrote the screenplay! I had no idea.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
There are a couple of websites that will tell you in detail all the possibly objectionable parts of a movie from violence to sex to language to scary parts. Screenit.com is one; the other unfortunately slips my mind.

dl

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
CAP Alert is another. If you want a good laugh, check it out. Here's an example of something they found offensive in "Office Space"

"gamming (maximizing exposure of upper legs in a dress while sitting)"

It reminds me of when Mr. Burns wanted to go "chase some ankle" on "The Simpsons".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks