What's new

Can projectors be mounted on the side of the room? (1 Viewer)

This may be a horribly stupid question (probably due to the fact that I know close to nothing about the features of projectors.... I'm not a newbie to HT but a newbie to projectors) but I'm wondering if there are any projectors that I could put on a side wall and still project flat on the viewing wall (like a left/right keystone effect type of thing).
I have a very tall and long room. We have a ceiling fan on a very long downrod that pretty much negates the possibility of me putting the projector on the back wall (wife loves the ceiling fan). If possible, I'd like to put a projector on one of the side walls. So is this a possibility?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps feasible, it's been done with a CRT before, the tubes were rotated in the set 90 degreesand the unit was mounted on a sidewall. I suppose you could use a source that could rotate the image 90 degrees, but I'm not aware of anything that could do that easily, maybe a PC. You'd definitely want to get a 4:3 projector though, if you could pull this off.

I think it would be easier to get something with a very long throw, or to shoot the projector on a folded rear-projection setup and avoid the 90 degree rotation.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A small number of projectors have "lens shift" that allows the projector to be positioned off center although still facing the screen. There is not that much range, for example the projector must usually be at least in line with the left edge or the right edge of the screen if not closer to the center.

You could work something out with mirrors, but if the mirror is some distance from the lens, the mirror has to be quite large. If you use one mirror, the projector must have a left-right swap setting, otherwise you need two mirrors.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You'd probably be better off with a ground-level projector. From what I understand these can be pricey, but I've seen projectors concealed in coffee tables, for instance, that pop up when in use and retract back into to table when not.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks