What's new

Can I use existing "on-walls" as "in-walls" in a new construction? (1 Viewer)

robd1

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob D.
I’m in a new home build here and need some advice. The framing is complete and they are about to start the sheetrock. Just wondering if anyone has installed or would suggest installing regular on-wall surrounds as in-wall’s in a new construction home. In other words, should I mount my current on-wall surrounds inside the actual framing of the home and put grills in the sheetrock? The room being built is not wife-friendly so all I can have is grills showing for speakers and in her opinion, no wall mounts. I do not own any in-wall or in-ceiling speakers and they are pricey but do I own many relatively high-end, on-wall speakers that I could use as surrounds.

Since I can easily do so, does anyone see any downsides to me framing in and mounting my current on-wall’s inside of the framing and having them project through a grill?

TriMe

Grip
Real Name
Sasha Bloom
You should contact manufacturer, because A) that is going to most likely void your warranty. B) With on-wall speakers, the mounting gear is usually to the rear, how will you mount them? And do they have pivoting tweeters? I'm interested to know how it works out for you. You can buy in-wall, in-ceiling speakers for so cheap now..were your on-walls a big investment?

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
As long as your walls are deep enough to fully conceal the depth of the speaker you *could* enclose your current speakers in a behind-the-wall shelf, mounted securely, with the grills flush with the wall or even slightly recessed and cover the opening with an acoustically transparent material of your wife's approval/choice. An issue coming to mind is the proper angling of your speakers toward the main seating area. Since the opposite walls from your speakers will be perpendicular you may want to treat those walls with an absorptive material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks