What's new

Can I use crab grass preventer if Im about to seed/sod? (1 Viewer)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
We have a small back yarsd that the dogs have pretty much ruined. I would like to put down sod and have the backyard looking nice for our daughter's b-day party which is June 5. Only problem is that sod is not being sold just yet.

Sooooo, I'm thinking of seeding instead. In any event, if I put down crab grass preventer will this impede the seeding or sodding?

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I the same dilemma this spring. My dogs have also trashed my very small backyard. From everything that I read on the web and on the actual bag of fertilizer, you should not seed for 4 months after applying crabgrass preventer. Scotts does sell a new seed starter fertilizer with crabgrass preventer that is supposed to solve this problem. I found it at Home Depot and applied it, along with a lot of seed last weekend. Here
is a link to this fertilizer on Scott's website. Of course after I applied everything we have received absolutely no rain and it has been getting pretty cool at night, so no new grass is sprouting yet. So the jury is still out on whether or not this stuff works.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I have had great results from Scott's PatchMaster. Very quick to get growing. Just make sure you continue to water heavily, even after it's sprouted and filled in.

While it's intended for small areas, it is sold in large bags. In our previous house, we had the septic system discconnected in late October and connected our discharge to public sewer. The backhoe totally destroyed our back lawn, but 6 large bags of Patchmaster and a LOT of watering brought in a decent lawn before the November freezing began.

Good Luck !

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hey, add me to the "dogs destroyed my backyard this year" club. Something happened this fall whereby the grass roots became very fragile and between two boys and two big dogs most of the grass was pulled up. I'm still debating seed vs. sod but the lack of any rain in the future forecast has me leaning toward sod. The seed likely wouldn't take yet and the dry conditions have made the yard liveable for the time being -- not a giant mud-pit at the moment.

And to answer your original questions, crabgrass preventative will also prevent grass seed from growing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks