What's new

Can i replace my dvd home theater with a blue ray home theater player ? (1 Viewer)

geordiejohn

Auditioning
Real Name
John William Penrose
Hello i have got a Panasonic DVD HOME THEATER SOUND SYSTEM MODEL SC-HT855 but the remote can no longer work the machine so i have to use the front panel,does any one know if i can replace the DVD with a Blue Ray Home Theater player please ?
I have also got a Panasonic plasma television model TH-37PX60B and a Panasonic dvd recorder model DMR-ES15EB/EBL
I did phone Richer Sounds and they said i should replace the whole lot,but it is only the dvd machine and remote that is not working.
Some one did suggest to me about getting a Harmony remote control, but even though the shop i bought my system from said there was nothing wrong with the remote i would still like to change to a blue ray player.
Thank you.

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
Oh yeah, totally possible. They do make bluray home theater systems, any electronics store should have one. Of coarse I like separate components better. I would just buy a bluray player by its self and then get a surround sound receiver by its self. I don't care for integrated units cause if one part breaks you are stuck with a piece of gear that only half works. Just my preference though. Either way you go, your local electronics store should have what you need. Not sure if you have Wal-mart over there but they have good deals if you do. Hope this helps.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The way I understand it is you would like to attach a BR player to either your HTiB (the SC-HT855) or your TV and have it replace the HTiB as the disk player. That's possible in general, but will depend on what inputs your HTiB has. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a manual for either the TV or the HTiB. If you could post a photo of both, that would help a lot. Otherwise, maybe just list the available input and outputs for both.
In theory what you would do is connect the new BR to the SC-HT855 using an HDMI (both audio and video). Or connect the BR to the TV using SCART or component connection (R/G/B) for the video, and then to the SC-HT855 using a digital optical, digital coax (orange), or stereo connection (R/W) for the audio. A third choice is to connect everything to the TV, and then send an audio signal back to the SC-HT855, but that works least well, and if you can do it, you can do one of the other, more preferred options.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Found the manual for that system:
http://audio.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/panasonic/scht855.html?idRes=6577197
As with most HTIB systems - it does not have any HDMI inputs that would fix your issue.
It has a 2 channel RCA input for AUX in - and on page 9 they show a connection for a cable TV box or Video recorder.
If you must use this unit - you will have to connect the new player directly to the TV, have the TV down convert the sound to 2 channel RCA, and use RCA cables to hook up the TV output to your HTIB system. You will then only have stereo output.....

geordiejohn

Auditioning
Real Name
John William Penrose
i am a total novice here,so do you think i could buy a Blue Ray player and a Receiver and that would work with my Panasonic television and sub woofer or do you think i should just replace the whole lot ?
thank you.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
do you think i could buy a Blue Ray player and a Receiver and that would work with my Panasonic television and sub woofer or do you think i should just replace the whole lot ?
It's possible, but would be hard to do, and not particularly cost effective unless you had access to a good assortment of used products. You didn't mention reusing the speakers, but they are

geordiejohn

Auditioning
Real Name
John William Penrose
Thank you every one i will look into getting the Onkyo HT-S5305B 3D Ready 5.1 AV Receiver and Speaker Package shortly and then get back to this forum to let you know how i got on.

naitea

Auditioning
Real Name
Diane
Yes this helps me tremendously! I agree. I prefer to purchase separate components just in case the one unit malfunctions, then I have my surround sound or blue ray still intact. Thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks