What's new

Can I Install my Bower & Wilkins CM5 speaker in wall? (1 Viewer)

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
I have bought a pair of Bower & Wilkins Cabinet Speakers CM5 to use as my left and right channel speaker for my future HT. I have bought some stands for them too. However, I was thinking about flush mounting them into my wall. Is this something you guys would recommend? If so, How should I do this to get the best sound? The link below are the speakers I bought. Thanks ahead you guys for your help.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/CM_Series/CM5.html

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The CM5's are have rear ports (I believe). Putting them against the wall would not be a good idea. They need room to breathe.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
I was thinking about in wall flush mounting it not hanging it on the wall. I have a false wall that I can leave the back side of the speaker open. Do you still think this will be a bad idea?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even if you let the rear port (or where ever it is) breathe, you are still effectively widening the baffle. That will change the way the midrange and lows of your speaker sound. B&W has factored in the width of the baffle into their crossover design.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/bafflestep/index.html

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Thanks, Robert. I have already ordered stand for the CM5. I saw a HT online that flush mounted their book shelf speakers and it looked cool. Just thought I could do the same with my CM5 since I can with the false wall that I built without sacrificing the sound. I will stick with leaving the speakers on stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks