What's new

Can I download videos from YouTube, and convert them to DVDs for collection? (1 Viewer)

Jackerry

Auditioning
Real Name
Kerry
How to convert youtube videos to DVDs with Windows Movie Maker, and is it legal?:confused: I just do it for personal collection.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It is ALWAYS illegal to have something in your possession you didn't buy.
It was illegal back in the days of copying CD to Cassette...just as it is downloading and burning to a DVD.
But there are UMPTEENTH programs on the interwebs to do this. Most programs won't know/care if this "content being burned" came from the internet or your camcorder.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
schan1269 said:
It was illegal back in the days of copying CD to Cassette...just as it is downloading and burning to a DVD.
I don't believe that is a true statement.
I thought that you were allowed to record TV broadcasts for your private use. These TV shows and movies were not 'bought' by you, but it was not illegal to posses copies.
As for YouTube, many of the videos posted there are not copyrighted, but are distributed for free consumption. So possessing something that is given away for free is not, in itself, illegal. (I do realize some are posted in violation of copyright, and some are copyrighted/not to be downloaded/only viewed)
David

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Technically, NO you can't just "record" OTA and "keep it forever".
Ask anybody with a DVR and then tried to take the DVR recording to a disc.
Granted, not ALL programs are copyright. But...being from Youtube...
I assume he means copying movies that are there in bit parts...then splicing them together...
Not making yesterdays "Hey y'all watch this" a part of his personal collection...

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
schan1269 said:
By THAT definition, anyone who is reading a book that they borrowed from the library (or watching a video that they rented from a store) is committing an "illegal" act, since they have in their "possession" something that they did not buy.
In fact, neither borrowing nor renting is illegal, and video stores don't need to get permission to rent (or pay royalties on rentals of) titles that they buy in the open market.
Posting songs to the Internet for any of 10,000 anonymous "friends" whom you will never meet to download is (usually) infringement. On the other hand, Senator Hatch once said that if he gave a copy of a CD to his friend, Senator Leahy, that would probably be Fair Use. There are also hints in court rulings that if someone were to, e.g., make an audio recording or Braille transcription of an entire work for the purpose of making it available to the blind, such translation would be Fair Use.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
schan1269 said:
I assume he means copying movies that are there in bit parts...then splicing them together...
Not making yesterdays "Hey y'all watch this" a part of his personal collection...
I don't know. I have better things to do with my time than scouring YouTube or USENET for bits and pieces of movies that I can get on DVD. I hope the poster does, too.
There are some "Hey y'all watch this" videos one might want to keep:
  • The first Jib-Jab video, with George W. Bush vs. John Kerry
  • "Pigeon Incredible" (six-minute animated spy spoof; eventually became available on DVD-R from Amazon)
  • The "Seven PsychoCats" trailer (spoof of "Seven Psychopaths" trailer)
  • Cats riding Roombas, squirrels attacking snakes, etc. :P

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Jackerry /t/324574/can-i-download-videos-from-youtube-and-convert-them-to-dvds-for-collection#post_3990684
How to convert youtube videos to DVDs with Windows Movie Maker, and is it legal? I just do it for personal collection.
There have been various programs to download YouTube videos to local storage. Here's a recent article about it:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/244289/how_to_download_youtube_videos.html

But it seems like a futile effort :) The world is only getting more online. My estimation is you're better off adding favorite videos to you YouTube fav's list and rewatching them online as you want. I think you'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep up with and manage a local collection of YouTube videos.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
My estimation is you're better off adding favorite videos to you YouTube fav's list and rewatching them online as you want. I think you'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep up with and manage a local collection of YouTube videos.
That's assuming those videos will be there when you go back. Half the articles on Cracked.com with a YouTube video link have down links in them.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
There are third party software packages out there that will capture whatever is playing on your screen. I haven't tried them, mainly because you are essentially stealing a TV show or movie. Just check out You-Tube and see how many things have been removed because they're copyrighted. I also stick with well known software supported by HP, Microsoft, Adobe and the big manufacturers, not loading my system down with third party, questionable software. They often are poorly written, screw up your drivers, your video, etc.
I'll watch something from the networks' site, rent it or buy the DVD/Blu Ray if I really enjoy it. I've spent 20+ years working with computers and never had a problem with my own systems. But I've done plenty of repair work for friends, coworkers and others, sometimes so badly messed up the only fix is to reformat and start over.

Users who are viewing this thread