What's new

Can/ has anyone recreated a past primetime lineup on DVD viewing? If so, list them. (1 Viewer)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I am interested in viewing various programs on DVD as they would have aired together in primetime years ago. Has anyone been able to reconstruct a vintage night of television from multiple sets, minus the commercials but pairing the particular episodes of one show with the particular episode of another that aired back to back to back on a particular day in the past? I am most interested in a whole 3 hour block but two particulars that make up an hour is fine.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I seriously doubt anyone has created the lists you're looking for. However, it wouldn't necessarily be impossible to do--it's just going to take a little work. It's going to work only for broadcast shows (nothing in syndication). You can probably find original air dates at Wikipedia; I know they have the line up for each year of ABC's TGIF, for example.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I don't think the original poster was asking if anyone knows what the old primetime schedules were. That info is easy to find. He wants to know if anyone has been able to recreate a night of programming through DVD sets that have been released so far.

I haven't been able to put together even two shows back to back. I don't think anyone can accomplish what he's looking for -- not yet, at least.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator
I can't do it with DVD's that have been released, but I can do it with a combination of released DVD's and DVD's I've created from transfers for a lot prime-time evening schedules from the 1950's to the present.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I seen to remember ABC (about '79/80) Tuesday as Happy Days (8PM), Laverne and Shirley, Three's Company, Too Close For Comfort. Of course, you only have that year of Three's Company on DVD (and the others I'd probably find it hard to sit through now back to back).

I often thought of backing up my discs in a way you'd prefer to watch them. Only one episode of a show of a disk. Shows mixed together. Just have TV DISC 1,2,3 up to a hundred and something (for me) and these are the discs you watch in sequence. Set for life. You don't really care where a particular episode is, as you've got the original.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I think that most of the legendary 1970s Saturday Night schedule on CBS with MTM, MASH, All in The Family & Bob Newhart can be done BUT still no season release for The Carol Burnett Show yet.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
one thing that blows is that a lot of memorable nights have shows that sold well on DVD (Cheers, Three's Company, etc) but also shows that have been abandoned (Happy Days, Night Court, Laverne And Shirley, 227, etc...) making it quite dificult.

I do kind of hope in a few years I'll be able to recreate the Saturday NBC 1985-1986 season, season 1 of Golden Girls (which is almost finished) and 227 (abandoned after season 1) alongside season 7 of The Facts Of Life (hopefully sales will keep steady that we'll see it in a few years) and season 5 of Gimme A Break (we won't see it in the US, but we might in Canada), I used to watch the GAB/FOL/GG/227 lineup with my mom every Saturday night back then, would be nice to recreate the lineup on DVD.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
It can be done for the original 1967-68 ABC Thursday night line-up for The Flying Nun, Bewitched, and That Girl which aired 8:00-9:30. All you need are the following dvd sets: the first season of Flying Nun, the fourth season of Bewitched, and the second season of That Girl which just came out last Tuesday. I own all these sets but never bothered yet to recreate the original primetime line-up. It would be nice if all these dvd sets listed the original airdates on their packaging. That would make it easier to do so. The That Girl dvd set does lists airdates, but not the Bewitched or Flying Nun sets. I would have to look those up elsewhere. I might try it sometime, but I don't think I will have the patience to do it all the time.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Well, there is the 1999-2001 WB Tuesday night lineup and the 2001-02 UPN Tuesday night lineup with Buffy 4-6 and Angel 1-2, and Roswell 3.

If I had the Smallville sets, I could get WB's Wednesday lineup from 2003-2004 with Smallville/Angel.

Okay, so that may be cheating a little because of how new it is...

StacyV

Second Unit

It can be done, but with The Carol Burnett Show being the last hard-to-find piece of the puzzle, it'll be tough. I noticed on dvdaficionado.com there were episodes of TCBS released through Columbia House of two episodes per release. I went with this one:

Carol Burnett Show, The - Volume 2 (1973-1977)
- Guest Stars: Ken Berry/Jack Weston (10/20/1973)
- Guest Stars: Rock Hudson/Steve Lawrence (1/29/1977)

I checked the other CBS shows for that October 20th date, and they're indeed all available.

8:00pm All in the Family - The Complete 4th Season (1973-1974)
- Henry's Farewell (10/20/73)

8:30pm M*A*S*H - Season 02 Collector's Edition (1973-1974)
- Kim (10/20/1973)

9:00pm Mary Tyler Moore Show, The - The Complete 4th Season (1973-1974)
- Father's Day (10/20/1973)

9:30pm Bob Newhart Show, The - The Complete 2nd Season (1973-1974)
- Have You Met Miss Dietz? (10/20/1973)

10:00pm Carol Burnett Show, The - Volume 2 (1973-1977)
- Guest Stars: Ken Berry/Jack Weston (10/20/1973)

I'm unsure if the Burnett disc even had the full hour length (with commercials) episode but anyone out there who has all of these releases has the CBS lineup for Saturday October 20, 1973. Even without TCBS obviously the first four can be donre pretty much throughout that '73-'74 season.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Um, the main reason I buy tv dvds is so I don't have to sit through the commercials.

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
I've never reconstructed an original night of television, but I have played dvd's together as they used to air in syndication on a certain local station I grew up with. I haven't tried to put specific episodes together, just shows in general. It was easier with my previous 5 disc changer because it actually allowed me to program multiple discs so I could put in one disc each from Bewitched, The Flintstones, Gilligan's Island, Lost in Space, and Ultraman, press shuffle play, and let it go for practically days at a time playing random episodes. Suddenly I was transported back to my youth in the 70s in Las Vegas watching all these shows in syndication on KVVU TV-5. :)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

I'm glad that's the reason YOU buy them, as for me, if there were ever 3 new cable channels (one dedicated to CBS shows, one for NBC and one for ABC) that would play exclusively TV shows from the 50s/60s and 70s with original commercials intact, and all in their original time slots...I'd watch those channels 24/7. I suppose TVLand and Nick at Nite sort of came close, until they became trash like most other cable "nostalgia" channels.

Luke Foust

Stunt Coordinator
I know this isn't as "vintage" as many of the ones being discussed here but I have often though of how I can create the sunday night lineup that my friends and I got together every sunday night in college for:

Simpsons
Family Guy
X Files

I have all the sets released so far for all of those shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks