What's new

Can dvd players be set up for both analog & digital use (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
at the same time? Here's what I want to do: I now have the dvd player hooked directly to the tv. When my 45tx arrives, I want to hook the coax/optic audio to the receiver so that the wife can use the dvd as it is now & I can also use it via the receiver? Is this possible? If so, what do I select in the dvd setup menu?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I've owned and setup over 20 DVD players and all of them ALWAYS output analog in addition to and regardless of whatever digtal format (DTS, DD) you have chosen. Of course the DVD must have a analog signal to output. A few DTS disc lack analog signal/audio. DTS demo disc are one title that readily come to mind.

Brad Newton

Second Unit
Will I have to go into the dvd menu to change the settings everytime I want the sound to go through the receiver?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
NO, you set it and forget it. However, of course you'll have to chose the sound format from the DVD's menu, but only once from the DVD player's menu.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
No, once it's set up the DVD player will pass both optical and coax signals at the same time.

Brad Newton

Second Unit
No, once it's set up the DVD player will pass both optical and coax signals at the same time.
OK, so what do I choose from the setup menu? Isn't it different to pass the signal straight to the tv versus having the receiver decode it? I understand that I have to select dolby or dts from the dvd itself.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
the DVD must have a analog signal to output
DVDs don't have analog signals. All DVD players can downconvert DD 5.1 to 2.0, and they can convert 2.0 to 2-channel analog. Downconverted 5.1 won't necessarily sound as good as genuine 2.0, which is why some DVDs have both. Some DVDs (mostly music videos, and really cheap DVDs) have a PCM soundtrack, almost like a CD, and the player can always convert that to analog too.

The exact setting depends on the player, but you should set the player to output the Dolby Digital bitstream through the digital (optical/coax) connection. With Dolby Digital or PCM, the player should always simultaneously output an analog signal.

Players do not generally downconvert DTS. If you choose a DTS soundtrack, you may get nothing from the analog outs. Most DTS DVDs also have a DD 2.0 soundtrack (a disc must have either a DD or PCM soundtrack, or it's not fully DVD-compliant). You often have to choose when the disc first plays. Just tell the wife to always choose Dolby Digital.

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks