What's new

Can current DVD get much better? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
DVD video quality has improved significantly. Compare a typical 2002-2003 release with that of something from 1997-1999 and there is usually a big difference - particularly with few artifacts. Most new DVD don't contain those compression artifacts anymore and movies are looking more filmlike than ever. Can the current format get even better? Or, are we reaching the upper limts of the current format's potential? If so, I am quite happy with it.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
In terms of video quality I'd say it's pretty much at the limits until any form of HD-DVD comes out.
In terms of audio I'd say yes. While there are some good quality discs out there DVDs on the whole don't compare too well with Laserdiscs in terms of audio quality. Of course this is my opinion and there will be different views out there :)

Jeff

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
For the most part, it's one-way and it's going up.

One of the first "just released" DVDs I bought when I first got a DVD player was North By Northwest. I was blown away by the quality of the audio and video. That was 2000. (NxNW is still an amazing DVD and doesn't look any worse compared to newer DVDs)

Now in 2003, I'm again amazed by the quality of DVDs such as Metropolis and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I had the opportunity to compare the original and SE discs of Roger Rabbit. The original DVD looked very nice, but had a little bit more print artifacts and looked "harder" in terms of image quality. The new DVD looks like a brand new print with so many subtle touches I never noticed before.

DVD mastering continues to improve more and more...but it only works when used correctly. It's saddening to see Artisan release a THIRD edition of The Quiet Man, still with a totally wrecked transfer. UCLA has the 3-strip negatives to this film and supposedly restored the film. Most studios jump at the chance at being able to use a freshly restored version of a film.

Mastering is important, but so is getting the right film elements. You can't give Lowry Digital Images an 8mm print of Ben-Hur and expect them to make something into that. Right elements + smart mastering = good DVD

TedD

Supporting Actor
Have you seen "Drumline"? If you don't then you haven't yet seen THE reference quality live action DVD!

Excellent detail, minimal to nonexistent EE, great colors, NO artifacts.

2.40:1 projected on a 5' x 12' screen and viewed from 15'.

Just unbelievable. It must have been transferred and/or compressed with new technology.

Ted

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Can the current format get even better?
yes. for starters, they can knock off all this damn halo enhancement that they're so intent on using. it's less of a problem these days, but why is it still there ? sometimes makes me think twice about downloading/bootlegging movies. i don't condone these activities but it makes me angry to think that i'm paying $20 for a deliberately flawed product, when in most cases it doesn't need to be ...

couldn't believe "reign of fire" (newish release). what a joke. it was like going back to the days of 98 when very agressive EE was the "in" thing.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I think the very best quality DVDs are about at the top of the scale for this format, but sadly there are still a lot of releases that don't approach that level.

One thing that bugs me is when they cram too much on a disc and the video quality suffers. While it solves the problem of multiple DVD versions, I generally don't like having both the P&S and widescreen movie on the same side of a disc. Wastes a lot of space that could be put to better use in bitrate, resulting in a "softer" look. At least in theory. Example - Legally Blonde.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I think it has room for improvement.

Some improvement can come from better compression (while it has already gotten very good compared to several years ago, there's no reason to think that the improvement has "hit the wall". I'm sure they can get better still.)

And somewhat related to this is making an effort to use (most) all disc space for video and audio PERIOD. Extras should be put on a separate disc. This will help with freeing up more space for less compression and possibly making the compression in general less difficult. Basically there shouldn't be anything "super" about the whole "superbit" thing. This is the way all DVD's should be produced as the norm.

And if there is more disc space for less compression, they could possibly reduce the high frequency/fine detail filtering which could allow DVD to look much nicer than they already do?

There's always room for improvement.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If all disc were as good demos as LOTR EE or Blade 2 I'd be happy.

But sadly, I buy DVDs all the time that have just a lackluster surround sound mix.

Video still can use a good step up also. Signs has a lot of video noise in some scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks