Can anyone recommend a good audio program?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacob_St, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

I just bought a Dell computer and the music player software is really bad. My CD's sound horrible whenever I play them. Can anyone recommend a good software program for a guy who just has a two speaker system? Would a sound blaster live card be worth upgrading to? Thanks alot.

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Try WinAmp, www.winamp.com
    SBLives! are nice cards, but the newer Creative Audigy's are so f-ing sweet. I personally REALLY recommend the Hercules Game Theater XP, it sounds oh so good, has tons of options and can be had for $129. Plus Hercules keeps the drivers up to date on the card, something Creative doesn't do with the Live.

3. ThucN

ThucN Agent

To find a CD software player, go here: http://www.gracenote.com/players.html
    Perform the search, and you'll get back a long listing of players to choose from.
    The one I use is simply named "Player". It's small but simple, just what I wanted. Plus, it's CDDB-enabled, meaning with every disc you put in, the player will access the CDDB database to download track listings for that CD. If you haven't used this feature before, try it...you'll like it.
    BTW, your current software CD player shouldn't have much effect (if any) on the sound quality of your CDs - unless your current player is using some equalization or DSP to mess up the sound.
    ------------------
    TqN

4. Jason_A

Jason_A Stunt Coordinator

You may want to see if it is your speakers that are causing the problem. Check out Altec-Lansing multimedia speakers there really good! I find that standard Windows Media Player without all the enhancements on works quite well.

Jason

5. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Holy big text, Batman

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Nevermind... ignore this post.