What's new

Can any of you turn off your alarm clock unconsciously in your sleep? (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Great thread. I think I have the early 70s version of the Bose Waveradio. I found it a couple years ago in my dad's garage and asked if I could have it and he said sure. I took it home and spritzed all the little knobs and wiped off the 2 inches of dust. Its an old Sears model, and must be the size of a cinder block. It simply says "SEARS ELECTRONICS". Model number 10656. It plays in stereo or mono, has a tone control, balance for left or right speaker and even has a dimmer button! Two 3 1/2" speakers on each side and power consumption of 14 watts. The snooze button doesn't work and upon closer inspection I could see that it looked like it had taken a fist. Real hard. I asked dad about it and he just gave me a funny look. OK then.

At first I thought the whole thing was broken because I couldn't get the alarm to go off. It was in the afternoon and it just wouldn't go off, then I changed the time to 7 am and sure shit it worked! So now I'm scratching my head because all the alarm clocks I have seen always worked in the afternoon but this one didn't.

I guess nightshift wasn't so common back in the Nixon days.

Its been a great, reliable clock. The stations come in nice and clear (we all know how wonderful them old tuners are) and has served well. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't trade it for that Bose alarm clock.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
lol some of these are really funny!
That's a first -- I've never seen someone "[sic]" themselves in advance.
Yeah, i just cant spell that freakin word...
But i've always wondered What does SIC actually stand for? I know it means a spelling mistake, but what does it stand for?
Hmm... im gonna try moving the radio/alarm across the room. Then i'll have to get out of bed to turn it off... :)
Ohyeah, also, its funny. Waking up to the same stupid alarm every morning does some weird things to. At one time, i had my CD play as my alarm. So every morning it would turn on, then the disc would start spinning. After awhile, i woke up automatically to the small 'pop' when the unit turns on, and the disc starts whirring. I would wake up BEFORE the song starts playing!
This also happened when i used my alarm clock. There would be a small THUD sound right before it starts to ring, before, i would be able to wake up at the sound of the thud, BEFORE the alarm actually went off. :laugh:

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
One of the better methods of waking myself up is to have my radio wake me up with the annoying banter of morons on a caffeine high. Then, about 20 minutes later, have the second alarm (a plain alarm) come on to actually make me get up to turn it off.

I find that this actually starts my brain up in the "I can't believe how dumb these radio guys are" mode, and the anger actually wakes me up. I never really thought of it before, but I guess there is an advantage to having only one or two tolerable radio stations in your city.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
What does SIC actually stand for? I know it means a spelling mistake, but what does it stand for?
It doesn't just mean a spelling mistake.

It's used when you're quoting someone, to indicate that some spelling or grammatical error was originally in the quote, and that you aren't the one who made the mistake. Your use of "sic" in the topic header here is incorrect, mecause "sic" makes no sense outside of a quotation.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
OH! :b

Ahwell... so would it be appropriate for somebody to SIC my thread title? :p

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
ah yes, the classic Seinfeldian debate - was it the volume, or was it the am/pm??

I have been 'afflicted' by this very same thing. I am very slow in the morning, and usually like to get up 2 hours before I work in the morning so I can relax a bit before the morning rush. Sometimes when my clock doesn't wake me up (or when I turn it off myself), I end up with only half an hour before work. It's amazing how fast you can do things like shower and poop and shave in the morning when you really need to / your life depends on it.

I have a clock with two alarms. I set one alarm for radio and the second for buzzer about 10 minutes apart. I don't use snooze but after reading this I just might now. I turn the volume way up, so I usually semi-awaken with the radio, but it takes the buzzer to really get me up most mornings. I also have one of those clocks with the really big 'easy to read' LED's, that can turn so bright they light up the room. Problem is, when I leave them on superbright, it's hard to get to sleep in the first place. It would be nice for someone to make a clock that when the alarm goes off, the LED's brightness turns to superbright. That combination just might work for me. Have never thought about buying new clocks every few months. I just never have to.

Back to the question at hand, yes I have been known to subconsciously turn the alarm off in my sleep and wake up an hour later or whatever. I've also had conversations with people and do not remember them at all lots of times. I wonder what causes this? Does REM sleep actually give you some control of your body's movements?

Interesting thread. Maybe they should come out with an alarm that when it buzzes a second time, a big boxing glove springs out of it and bops ya on the noggin? that'd get me up. I have to work early in the morning tomorrow. who knows what will happen?

Of course the best way to ensure you get up in time is make sure you have enough sleep!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
This also happened when i used my alarm clock. There would be a small THUD sound right before it starts to ring, before, i would be able to wake up at the sound of the thud, BEFORE the alarm actually went off.
I'm the same way. I hit the snooze either exactly as it's about to go off or before it even has a chance. It's a little click prior to alarming on mine that triggers a conditioned response to rotate and lift my arm to whack the snooze button. That's why I have another alarm set in the kitchen on days I really need to be up. :D

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I've never been able to turn off my alarm and go back to sleep without knowing it. Often I find myself waking up a couple of minutes before the alarm goes off. After I see what time it is, there's no going back to sleep for me. :frowning:
I did have a roommate in college who could sleep through his alarm every morning without turning it off. Not fun. :angry:
Jon

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
I did have a roommate in college who could sleep through his alarm every morning without turning it off.
That's what I do nowadays -- I can manage to sleep right through my alarm clock's ultra-loud buzzer, even though it is only inches from my ears. :eek: It turns out that most alarm clock models will stop buzzing if no one shuts them off for about an hour. ;)
Cheers,

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I can ... I can also shut it off and know it ... Meanwhile calculating that snooze is another 9 minutes ... I have the clock set 8 mins fast so what time it'll actually be when I get up ...

I never understood why ppl set the clock fast ... They obviously know they did it ... It's a superstitious habit now ...

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I have also managed to sleep through the alarm a few times, but thankfully it has been very far inbetween, and it does shut off after an hour or so. Actually I am using a Radio, I did have an electric clock once, that I had to get because I couldn't sleep hearing the ticking of a mechanical clock... But the alarms on the electric clock are so damn annoying, it actually ended up ruining my sleep. Every morning the alarm physically scared me, I was nervous and jumpy for minutes after the alarm woke me up. At first I was thankful I had finally found a clock that did wake me up, but the nervousness from the f***ing alarm started "spreading", I was actually beginning to dread the alarm going off in the morning, so I started losing sleep and having trouble sleeping! I suffered through it for almost two years only sleeping good during weekends, then it finally sank into mu brain that it could not go on like this and I got my first clock radio. Occasionaly I do sleep through it, but at least I sleep well :)
I thought it was strange that the alarm could actually ruin my sleep like this. Talk about hating the alarm clock :D I also get jumpy from loud crashes etc, but no other sound I have ever heard has affects me like the sound of those electric clocks... Strange...

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I never understood why ppl set the clock fast ... They obviously know they did it ... It's a superstitious habit now ...
This only works for me if I set it at an odd time. If it's a nice round number - 10, 15, 30 minutes off - I'll look at the "7:00 AM", remember that it's really only 6:45, and go back to sleep for 15 minutes. However, if I set it at an odd time, and a slight difference - say 7 minutes off - it works great. I forget that it's not accurate until after I'm awake and in the shower, or brushing my teeth, etc. Then, "Hey, I've got a few extra minutes here. Cool!"

Personally, I hit the snooze button constantly. I hate mornings. I don't know if there is something wrong with me, but I will sleep until 9 to 10 am every weekend. Doesn't matter whether I go to bed at 9pm the night before, or midnight. I'll still sleep until sometime between 9 and 10. I never get up on time for breakfast. In fact, I haven't had breakfast in years. Which sucks, because I really like breakfast, but at 6 in the morning an extra hour of sleep always seems better than a nice breakfast.

Someone else in this thread mentioned libido. I can't even wake up for that; I'd rather have the extra hour of sleep. Correction: I'd rather have the sex, but at 6 in the morning, my brain goes crazy and changes it's mind. It's easy to make plans at night - "Tomorrow morning let's get up early and have a little fun" - but when the time comes, it's just impossible for me to wake up.

I usually get up at 7:30 to make it into work by 8:00. I can cram a full shower into 10 minutes, hair/teeth/shave/etc into 5, and getting dressed into 5. Then grab a banana and out the door. Takes me 10 minutes to drive to work so I usually make it on time... That's pretty sad. I wish I could make myself get up an hour earlier but I just can't do it. Maybe I need to see a sleep therapist...

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I don't use the alarm clock anymore. I just wake up at 7am. ?? I guess getting 7-9 hours every night helps.

For those that are sleeping through nuclear war- how much sleep do you get?

Todd

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
Heh, I was the one who was quoted at the start of this thread. And I found a cure for my problem! I got to college and took only classes that started at 11 am or later :D:D. Works like a charm too!
Don't have problems getting up early either because its such a rarity that I have fallen out of practice.
The phone will do it though, it can be 5 am and my cell phone can go off and I will be half way out of bed and a bit confused as to why untill I hear it ring a second time.
I must say though I am truly amazed by some of the talent that some of you have when it comes to turning off your alarm clock. Just think what you could do if you learned to do something productive while you were still sleeping as opposed to just turning an alarm clock off?
"But you can't go to sleep yet, you still have that paper to write!"
"Don't worry, I've got it covered. . ."

Owen Murphy

Auditioning
Real Name
Owen
Haha I hate being able to do this, I've always been a sleep walker so I think that's part of it. I'm unfortunately now at the point that even if I have my alarm across the room I manage to turn it off without waking up :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks