What's new

Can any Audioquest IC be used for dig. connection for dvd to preamp? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Hello and thanks for reading. I have a spare AQ RubyIC that want to use as a digital cable (coax) to go from my dvd player (JVC723) to a EAD Encore. I am unable to find the AQ DIGX cable I had prior to moving so I am stuck with this until I decide if I indeed need a replacement. After connecting the Ruby, my preamp is unable to keep lock throughout a whole entire movie. Every so many secs, I hear clicks and switching sounds while the diplay shows a constant 5.1 signal. This is annoying when you hear that not to mention there are dropouts during movie scenes. I never had a problem with my Audioquest DIGX. I used another cable to be sure, a spare Monster Sub cable (grey)which I thought could be used as an 75ohm cable also...same thing. I thought most heavy duty name brand IC's are all 75ohm and could be used in various configs? Should I go with toslink since I am having timing errors or something?

BruceD

Screenwriter
Most audio ICs are typically spec'd as 50 Ohm cables, not 75 Ohm cables.

All you need is a video 75 Ohm coax cable with RCA connectors, they are the same thing as a digital 75 Ohm coax cable with RCA connectors.

By the way, you can use all digital and video 75 Ohm ICs for audio ICs. With Analog-Only audio ICs, it doesn't matter whether it's 75 Ohms or 50 Ohms.

Keir H

Second Unit
thanks Bruce, I'm not a novice but still learning..:D I forgot about the 50 ohm spec on cables such as the ones I mentioned. Now to choose some decent but not way expensive IC that will cause no dropouts...maybe I'll try a toslink..

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
but that's not because audio interconnects require a 50 ohm characteristic impedence. has more to do with using 50 ohm cables that are essentially Ethernet over coax. After all, you could just as well have an audio interconnect made using twisted wires in whatever geometry floats your boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks