Can an SVS operate upside down?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mitch Stevens, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Hmmm. I really don't know how to ask this, but whenever I get about 3 feet away from my SVS I hear the truly deep gut-wrenching bass that everyone talks about (16-46 pci) but as soon as I sit on my couch (8 feet away) I can only hear it slightly, and all of that incredibly deep bass has completely disappeared. I have it calibrated, and have even tried different spots in my room (right now it's at the left-hand corner of my room).

I was thinking of maybe turning it UPSIDE DOWN. That's right. I just want to see what will happen to the bass. Maybe I can improve the bass? I've already tried every location in my room, so this would be the next step. Would this hurt the SVS in any way? I certainly would not even dare try it if it's going to damage it.

2. Fredster

Fredster Stunt Coordinator

Sideways perhaps - the top is a port and shouldn't be blocked.

This sounds like a "location" problem to me. Continue moving sub around. Also adjusting the phase might help, it did with mine (20-39PCi).

3. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

How about trying the old trick of placing your sub where you will be sitting and moving your ears around the room until you find a good spot?

4. Jason Reich

Jason Reich Stunt Coordinator

I second Jeffs response- I did that and it worked wonders for me

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

You guys are SOOOO bad...

6. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Whoops! I forgot to try the "phase" switch every time that I moved it. That must be why it didn't sound any different. Hmm...Now that I think about it, I think I'll just put right right behind the couch and toggle the phase switch.

Jeff & Jason, I did try what you said. I placed the entire huge sub on top of the couch and I got on my hands and knees and crawled around the floor with my spl meter, but all of the readings were the same. I should have tried the phase switch.

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

You should play something you're familiar with(movie or music), and listen to the quality of the bass(not just quantity). I have tried plotting the response at potential sub locations with the sub in the listening position and it's usually comes close to the response when I reverse the locations.