What's new

Can a wd my book live be used to stream wav music files to a Marantz 7005 network receiver (1 Viewer)

RainMan1

Grip
Real Name
Rick
I am having no success at all . I uploaded an album in wav file to the wd play book which is a network hard drive with dlna support i believe ,and I can access and listen to it on my network with one of my computers . The marantz sees the drive . It brings up wonkey I believe it says . I can see the album and choose a song with the marantz remote but when I hit play it fails . It says file format error . I used to have a dedicated computer with my Yamaha rxv2700 but was told you can use a network drive instead . I am using a dlink router and dhcp is enabled in the marantz receiver . Any ideas guys ?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
There could be any number of things going on. First of all, wav is not a natively supported DLNA format (see https://members.dlna.org/industry/why_dlna/key_components/media_format/), but many DLNA providers support it anyway. Twonky does (http://twonky.com/products/twonkymobile/tsmfaq.aspx#q4), but Marantz may not. So that could be a problem. Secondly, many systems support Windows Media Sharing. So that's why it might have worked when you were connected to a PC, but not when you are connected to a network drive. Thirdly, it could be a real format error - the way the wave was ripped may not be the way the Marantz wants to see it. And lastly, it could just be a Marantz bug. I mention this because I just returned a Marantz 1602 because it would only sporadically connect to my NAS and play FLAC files. I replaced it with a Yamaha that has no problem playing FLACs off the same NAS. All that didn't help you, I know. My suggestion is to try a different file format and see how that plays. Mp3 is a fairly universal format, try ripping to that and see if the Marantz picks it up under DLNA. (You probably don't want to use mp3 as your primary server format, as it's not high quality, but doing this may give clues as to what's wrong. If mp3 works we can go from there.)

RainMan1

Grip
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for your reply Al . Previosly I tried the same network drive with my Yamaha rxv2700 and I had the same issue , it showed the album but when I entered the song it said connect error .The Yami worked fine with a comp running xp ,did drop the music list if you jumped threw albums to quickly though. My other idea is to try a new router with USB support and use a conventional hd . I suspect I am going to have to buy a small desktop comp and be done with it . I was going to replace my rxv2700 with Yamahas rxa3010 , but I wanted to try a separate processor and amp once . I am a little concerned that you had issues with your marantz receiver , hopefully it's an isolated case . And yes I hate compressed files and found streaming wav files to my rxv2700 seemed exceptible . Are there any threads regarding the quality of streaming wav files versus cd ? I've often wondered how others feel about this

RainMan1

Grip
Real Name
Rick
Well I uploaded some albums in lossless WAV format to my Dell 6400 precision laptop which is running windows xp and connected it to the network and no issues .The marantz handles WAV so either I have done something wrong with the net hd or it won't work the way people have claimed . I have no issues using a laptop . I have to bypass the standby option in the power options as even when I turn on wake up on LAN or WAN in bios I loose the connection once the laptop goes to stand by . It's kinda cool accessing my photos threw the amp to

RainMan1

Grip
Real Name
Rick
Well turns out I'm a moron . I actually ripped in WMA .I had to download window media player 11 as wan was not on the drop down menu . It's works now In WAV but I don't like the file system . I ripped to the network drive and to access files on the receiver I have to choose folder and it shows all the alrtist names . Can't get genre or album name to work as all that happens is all songs cone up in alphabetical order . If I rip to the computer with the cd rom the files can be accessed in genre ,album name artist . So maybe I will build a cheap dedicated comp for this

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks