What's new

Camp Classics From WB (1 Viewer)

ted:r

Second Unit
From The Digital Bits

I suppose the ones I'm looking forward to (not being a big cult/camp fan) are "Caged" and "Land Of The Pharohs (the latter because of Howard Hawks). These are some box sets where I am very glad that the films will be available separately!

Charles H

Screenwriter
I guess that I'll take it any way that I can get it, but I am a bit more -than- horrified that Eleanor Parker's brilliant, Oscar-nominated performance is sharing the same trough as Lana Turner in THE BIG CUBE and Joan Crawford in TROG.

ted:r

Second Unit
I understand, but they (Not WB - whoever owns it) can release "Chilly Scenes Of Winter" (Or any of the films I want) as part of a "The Most Stupid Films Ever Made" Box Set and I'll still scarf it up in half a jiff.

William Miller

Second Unit
Wow! Great titles.

While most of those films could definitely be called "Camp Classics", there are a few that are receiving a real insult by being put in that category especially Caged which is a very serious and well made film featuring tremendous performances especially by Eleanor Parker and the 6 foot 2 inch Hope Emerson (as one of the nastiest prison matrons you would ever want to see).

Claude North

Second Unit

Well, you know how it is: for many people, "women's prison" equals "camp." Personally, I think the word "camp" is overused. Still, I'm glad to see these titles getting a release, particularly The Big Cube and Trog.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I believe that should be "Zero Hour!" For anyone who doesn't know, Airplane! is a scene for scene remake of this -- whole passages of dialogue are lifted from Zero Hour! with "Don't call me Shirley" tacked on.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
OK, so this is the release George Feltenstein seemed particularly excited about when he was asked about a release of Caged. These releases really make me wonder what extras will be included!

The only titles I am really interested in are Caged and The Prodigal, so it it is great they are being released separately because one person's camp favorite is just another person's unwatchable movie.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Zero Hour is an instant buy for me. Turner Classic Movies aired it back-to-back with Airplane! once and it's hilarious. Not intentionally, though...

Corey

Screenwriter
I want every one of these sets. They'll probably be $18.99 on line. Not bad for 12 movies for under 60 bucks.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I will be buying all 4 of these sets...these are the type of releases that get me really excited, as most of these films are not major titles and are less likely to get released on DVD.

Thanks Warner!!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I've been wanting to see this for some time for the connection to Airplane. I saw "The High & The Mighty" last year, and there was quite a bit of obvious references in that also.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am amazed that some of these films are getting a DVD release at all, so I look forward to these sets.

And if some of these films can get a DVD release, it keeps my hopes up for some of the MGM and Warner treasures that aren't out yet.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Excellent. Tad disappointed that Frankenstein 1970 isn;t in the Sci-Fi one, though - it's about the only title mentioned in the WB chats that has so far failed to materialise.

Iy might be considered too serious for a Camp title, but then, I;d have said that about The Giant Behemoth or Land of the Pharoahs, too.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
TROG! TROG! TROG! TROG! TROG! TROG! TROG! And put me down for Attack of the 50 Ft Woman, too! If these are priced as cheaply as I think they will be, I may just grab them all, much to my wife's chagrin.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

It looks like Warner Bros. Television bought it at some point. TCM's print has the Paramount logos, but followed by a Warner TV logo at the end. Maybe they were planning to remake it.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I think this is a good sign we may get a volume 5 around Halloween for Horror Camp Classics, which could include Frankenstein 1970 among others. I'm definitely getting Volumes 1 and 2.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You do have some of the films into perspective. When it was made, CAGED was not trying for camp or anything like that. It was a serious film and garnered serious Academy consideration.

Believe it or not, VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, now considererd the height in camp, was not made for jeering. It was considered a serious film (albeit melodrama all the way) based on a best seller. MOMMIE DEAREST suffered a similar fate.

I don't think any of the filmmakers of several of these above films thought they were doing anything but serious work when the films were made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks