What's new

Camera recommendation for wife? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife needs a new camera. She's got a Canon 10IS that's been great for about five years. The all-in-one superzoom has been great for her. But some salt spray on a sailboat tour, last night, has marked it's final days (takes pics, but screen is goofed and some buttons aren't working)She likes the all in one cameras with some manual controls. I want her to get a DSLR, but shes not interested, fearing the level of controls and learning to make it work. And their lack of live screen viewing is a huge downside. She strongly needs better indoors and low light performance. The new Sony NEX line, with replaceable lenses, looks like a compromise to get her into a better camera class, some future proofing, and not have the full complexity (real or perceived) of a SLR. I need to start research, point her to some models to try, and probably buy in the next month. Recommendations?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Sony NEX and Olympus OMD seem to be the best mirrorless interchangeable lens camera systems right now, and the NEX 6 Sam recommended looks really nice. However, if your wife really likes a fixed lens super zoom, are you sure she is going to be happy moving away from that type of camera? I know my wife wouldn't have been happy if I bought her one.

If a fixed lens camera is still a possibility and she does not need the really long focal reach of a super zoom, Canon makes a Powershot 1GX that has a sensor larger than a four-thirds dSLR and captures in RAW format.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Couple things:

Almost all DSLRs of this generation support live view / video, you might have old intel on that. If you do decide to go the way of the DSLR, the kit that Costco has for the D7100 is seriously badass. The 5000 series might do tho, don't go with the 3000 series. Can't help you on Canon side recs.
Low light being a must puts the supercompacts out of the running IMO. Plus once the motor dies on them you throw the whole camera away. Have had 2 in my family trashed because of that. YMMV.
Don't even think about Nikon's 1 series. Junk.
I hear better things about Canon's mirrorless but like Nikon they are still trying to make a market that is lower than (and preserves) their DSLR bread and butter. Sony on the other hand is sharing tons of tech between the two and hitting home runs because of it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Live View with a dSLR is not the same as with a mirrorless or compact camera due to the auto focus limitations. While Canon's auto focus in Live View using their new STM lenses has gotten better, it is still cumbersome compared to a mirrorless camera. If Dave's wife wants something simple, Live View on a dSLR is probably not a good solution. Also, ergonomically I am not sure how easy it would be to shoot with a dSLR using LV by holding the camera at arm's length and composing on the back LCD. Of course, I have always been a viewfinder person, so I hate using the back LCD to compose using any camera, so I may not be the best person to listen to on this subject.

Canon's mirrorless body looks decent if you do not need a viewfinder. The biggest complaint I've read is regarding sluggish auto focus performance, but I've never actually tried one.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I agree with all of that. As you know, I love my NEX's -despite- their reliance on live view. I much prefer and optical viewfinder but it has it's tradeoffs in size. I'm just noting that live view IS supported on all major DSLRs of this generation and they make their use optional, which is a win. If you prefer to use LV 100% of the time over a 'real' viewfinder then yes that's even more of a reason to choose mirrorless or compact.

Compacts have made significant strides too, but their autofocus performance, noise in low light, and reliance on very small motors puts them at a distinct place behind mirrorless IMO. Their size advantage is not immaterial, but I'd suggest that to someone who wants manual control that the flexibility that the Mirrorless cams provide is worth the weight.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Believe it or not...if she's up for a phone renewal. Nokia Lumia, the new 900 series phone...

The camera function on it is on par with throw away cameras of just 2 years ago. My "point and shoot" is a 2 yo Sony with Panoramic Shot(which that series of camera got rave reviews). The Lumia 925(???) takes better night picture than it does.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd give another vote to the Nikon D7100, a good 35mm or 50mm prime lens instead of the kit that comes with it, of course if all she wants is a superzoom and plenty of flexibility then the Fuji HS50 will give that and more with some very nice features, not as sharp as a DSLR but good enough for the web and printing 10x8's out.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It appears that Canon did improve the auto focus performance of their M mirrorless with a firmware update. Even so, I think that Sony and Olympus are still the best choices in interchangeable mirrorless market.

If you want something smaller in a dSLR, Canon does have a smaller form factor Rebel SL1 that has the same 18MP APS-C sensor as their other current models. That combined with a 18-55mm kit lens and a fast prime lens in the 28mm to 35mm range would be a light weight solution.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the great feedback! I'm no doubt outdated on the state of DSLRs. The last one I saw is a few years old, and was optical viewfinder only, with post-shutter LCD view. I understand the appeal (and benefits) of through the lens viewfinder composition. My wife prefers modern LCD composition.While she likes the super zoom, she's played with the Sony NEX line (got the sales pitch at the NYC Sony store) and likes their size. They are smaller than her current super zoom. And I'm pitching the ability to have a daily driver zoom lens, but be able to switch to a prime lens to take awesome pictures indoors at holidays. And, maybe we can upgrade bodies in five years to even better sensor but still use the lenses. (I see some risk there, because who knows if Sony's NEX line will be successful)The DSLR: I'd like her to go that route because I know they're not anymore complex than a point a shoot, and she likes using manual and Shutter priority on her super zoom. But those cameras are big. And from the sound of it, the live LCD viewing may not be what she prefers. We both use our iPhone 4's a lot for snapshots. We'll upgrade to the 5S this Fall. But a camera phone is not a full replacement for even a good super zoom or mirrorless camera.I didn't mention price :) The NEX 6 is appealing. Not sure if I'm we've got a $500 budget or a $1000 budget. Lets say you had $1000 to spend over the next five years. Would you buy a $500 camera now, and then replace it in three years? Or spend $1000 now and keep it for five years?I've got some reading to do on cameras.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Wirecutter and The Verge have some great reviews on the Sony NEX line. For an interchangeable lens choice, NEX is top of my list. What I'm seeing, similar to buying good speakers or a receiver, is that there aren't any bad choices when you get past $500. It's about personal preference in features. But what makes me pause is, for the first time, understanding how much these cameras cost. $900 for the NEX-6 with kit lens. $400 for an f/1.8 prime (that may not support the new fast AF). Or $1000 for a Zeiss f/1.4. $350 for a longer zoom lens. I'm not sure my wife's level of interest put her into a $2000 camera system (and I'm content with a camera phone). I'm rethinking the possibility of something like the Sony RX100 II, a capable super zoom for about $500.I need to find a store with these cameras and have her play with them, and see what she thinks. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/these-are-the-first-lenses-you-should-buy-for-a-sony-nex/

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That reminds me about a camera I almost bought ages ago(when film was still king)...Wonderful reviews, wonderful camera, but with my long and skinny fingers working the focus ring...This manufacturer thought it a good idea to create "an easy film eject"...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That dxo site gives an interesting technical perspective on the cameras.Sam - the problem now is taking videos of kids and discovering later that you didn't get the priceless moment because the camera ran out of storage and you didn't know it. There's some bundle pricing on the NEX-5R line, with its kit lens and the zoom , for $300 off retail ($300 less than similar nex6 bundle) Is this a normal sale? Or rare don't-miss sale?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DaveF said:
That dxo site gives an interesting technical perspective on the cameras.Sam - the problem now is taking videos of kids and discovering later that you didn't get the priceless moment because the camera ran out of storage and you didn't know it.There's some bundle pricing on the NEX-5R line, with its kit lens and the zoom , for $300 off retail ($300 less than similar nex6 bundle) Is this a normal sale? Or rare don't-miss sale?
That German site is very useful too but you need to use Chrome with Google translate automatically built in and enabled, it shows you examples at each ISO setting and gives you info on the sharpness and video quality, I'd seriously consider a Nikon D5200 rather than the NEX cameras.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Went to BestBuy with the wife and demo'd the NEX-5R and NEX-6 (as much as you can with BestBuy's alarm-shackled cameras. At least they had both and they were operational). She prefers the controls of the 6 (as do reviewers). She also liked that the 6 has a built-in flash.

However, I have an aversion to paying full retail. The 6 is on sale if bought with the 55-210 mm zoom, which is not a priority. So we'll wait and see if the base camera kit goes on sale before Labor Day.

I think I may have missed a good sale. I thought Amazon had another $100 off last night, or the night before. Maybe I missed it. Maybe I dreamed it as I 'researched' while falling asleep (my wife had ill words for me about dropping my iPad as I zzzz'd off).

I was impressed the EVF auto senses use and it and the external screen toggle on and off accordingly.

I have a few questions I've got to get answered.

How does the NEX-6 compare to Canon Powershot SX50 HS in 'low light' (Or Sony RX100 II)? This is the basic issue. I need a sanity check that I'm not wasting $1000 for an advanced camera system that doesn't actually do that much better than a good all-in-one. That is, if I'm paying double cost for 10% better results, that's not the right choice for us.

Does the Sony f/1.8 35mm prime lens support the new fast autofocus (phase contrast) system? If not...I'm both puzzled and wonder if there's a new prime lens on the horizon to wait for.

Is there a Macro Lens or Macro Mode for the NEX?

If I end up waiting to Labor Day to buy, am I on the threshold of new NEX cameras? My wife doesn't care. But I don't like buying last year's model against new tech. And I loathe paying full retail on last year's model.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you think AVR tech moves fast...Cameras are warp speed. The only thing good about cameras...They have good re-sale, if it was a popular camera when new. You should check what the D90 is still going for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks