What's new

Cambride Soundworks (1 Viewer)

Rob Behm

Grip
I recently received their fall catalog, and I have to be impressed with the style and prices. I was wondering if there are any CS advocates on this board. Also, is there any way to test them out?
TIA,
Robert

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
I use the Ensemble III L/R/Sub with the Center Channel Plus and the Surround II 5.1's for rears in my bedroom. They are tied to a Denon AVR2500 (in ProLogic mode). I am extremely happy with the combination...They sound great at lower volumes (being considerate of the spouse). I also have a DVD that we watch an occasional movie on and they hold their own. Bedroom is 18x20 with all cherry furniture and carpet on the floor. I've heard better systems of the same size, but for the money you can't beat it...my .02...
alien.gif

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
for the $199 retail price on my Ensemble IV system, they're not bad. only reason i have them is that i won their monthly giveaway and got the Ensemble IV free. i'll be moving to the JBL NSP1 package soon.
i'd look elsewhere for better speakers in the price range. for instance, the JBL Northridge Speaker Package (NSP) plus a Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer. that'd be around $425 and very tough to beat (performance-wise) for the price. also look at Fluance and the HomeTheaterDirect.com Level I speaker package. any of these will outperform the Ensemble speakers i've heard.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I am using and recommend the CS The Surround 5.1 surround speakers. They don't have much bass below 100 ~ 120 Hz but above that area, they are great. They'll do bipole or dipole. A few years back, Home Theater Magazine said they compared extremely well to surrounds costing a grand...
------------------

I have had the Newton S300 surround speakers since last summer and really like their performance. Their dispersion is most impressive, and I also find that the sound from my front speakers now seems to come back and envelop me, rather than staying at the front of the room, as it used to. The catalog has a quote from the review in HT magazine, and I agree with it.
The S300s match up very nicely with my front NHT towers and my wonderful SVS 16-46PC subwoofer.
Keith Smith

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have previously owned their speakers and formerly used them in my bedroom system. They tend to be good quality for the money.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The Newton S300 ensemble got a great writeup in Home Theater magazine last month.
I use a Cambridge center channel in my system (the Plus) and its worked flawlessly for years.
Back when I bought it good center channels were rare. Now of course every manufacturer has one ot two.
JohnG
------------------

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
I have owned CSW's Ensamble II's since Aug 1994...for the $$$ they are a VERY strong contender!! I have the CenterStage which is the best center under 500.00 I have ever heard except for their new Newton Series M500 center. The new Newton Series is SOOOOOOO good! Those T500 towers are my favorite

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
My system consists of CSW Towers for my mains, The Centerstage for my center speaker, 4 s-300's for my surround's and a SVS 39-20PC Sub with an Onkyo 989 receiver. I am extremely happy with thier speakers. I contemplated upgrading my mains to the T-500's, but the wife would throw me out of the house (and then I would have to upgrade my center speaker to match of course!). They also have a 45 day money back guarantee if you don't like the way that they sound (although I doubt you will). If you don't have a large home theatre area, their mini Newton system (M-300's across the front with the s-300's for the rears and a good sub (go with SVS) sounds great). I have well over 5000 cubic feet to "fill" up so I went with tower speakers. I can't give them a better recommendation. Just my .02.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks