What's new

Calls for delaying digital TV switchover (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I don't think anyone is naive enough to think these decisions aren't influenced by lobbyists. Frankly, I don't think the motivations are nearly as important as the end result.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't really see how this issue could be framed in those terms. Who benefits from the delay, really, except those who didn't prepare for the switch? The telecoms and emergency services are waiting for the frequencies they paid for/were promised while the broadcasters are waiting to drop the costs of an additional analog transmitter. The electronics companies will have a rush on DTA converter boxes. The networks will lose audience initially, but the hit will be as bad in June as it would be in February; you get a couple sweeps periods, and that's it.

Corporate lobbying is only really effective for complex interests that don't galvanize a critical mass of popular opinion. In this case, Congress is terrified of the backlash from constituents when they discover that their TVs don't work. Democratic congressmen represent a disproportionate number of districts with a significant number of constituents that rely on over-the-air broadcasts, which explains the overwhelming Democratic support for the delay. Senators of both parties represent states that include these districts, which explains why support for the delay is much stronger in the Senate.

If I were Congress, though, I'd want to rip the band-aid off as soon as possible. If you do it in February, that gives you a year and a half minimum before you face election. The later the switch is delayed, the closer it's going to be to the midterm elections.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Lets hope this doesn't get sent back for another vote before Feb 17. Like you said, Adam, let's just rip the band-aid off and be done with it.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
For Pete's sake...I can't believe this even was being considered. Glad to hear the House had an ounce of common sense for a change.

Chances are many have already seen this HYSTERICAL video clip about an older woman trying to prepare for digital TV:

YouTube - Switching to Digital TV

Question: Can anyone find the sequel?

In the sequel which I saw on TV about 2 weeks ago, she's trying to take the converter back off because the date had been reversed. I can't find it. Anyone else know where it may be?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

That's not a question that can be answered without getting a post deleted or this thread closed.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Short answer: Some telecoms and others who will be getting the released spectrum are readier for the switch than others. They will have a competitive advantage if the switch happens on schedule. Other companies aren't as ready and would benefit from a delay, because it would buy them time to catch up. Both sides are calling in favors, hoping for an outcome that helps them in the marketplace. The whole situation isn't nearly as simple as it may look on the surface.

Regards,

Joe

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough. Given the nearly-party line nature of the vote I'm not sure I buy it. But I'm going to join the chorus and drop it now.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
We'll see what happens next week.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein

I doubt it.
I don't think Neilsen would risk their income.
I'll bet they made sure that everyone with a Neilsen Box was upgraded well in advance.
And of course, the rest of us don't count.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Since news of the possible postponement broke most of the local broadcasters in my area have started running announcements stating they will turn off the analog signal on the original date anyway. I can only applaud them.

My previous post was not meant to come off as being in favor of the postponement, but rather to express the idea that no amount of delay is going to prevent the clueless segments of the population from being affected.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's great, Steve, but you need to reach a critical mass in a given market in order for it to hold. If the NBC affiliate comes out saying they're sticking to the original date and nobody else does, they've essentially forfeited a chunk of their audience to the other networks for a few months (or more if they get hooked on the other networks' shows). I'd say at least two of the Big Three would need to commit to sticking to the original date for it to work.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Hundreds of channels have already declared that they're switching on or around February 17, regardless of whether the official date is moved:

RabbitEars.Info

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
We called a professional antenna company to come out and install an antenna so we could receive the digital broadcasts so we could get high-def programming from our local TV stations, since DirecTV couldn't supply them because we are well within the broadcast radius. The company brought "the biggest, baddest antenna we got", and when it didn't work, they put it on a 30 foot riser. It made our house look ridiculous and still didn't pull in more than 1 station, no matter how they aimed it. The topography of our property makes it impossible to receive digital signals. When you stand on my neighbor's driveway, you have to look down to see the roof of our house. So I imagine there will be numerous complaints around the country similar to mine, but I don't think delaying the date will fix anything. So far, NBC and FOX are allowing DirecTV to supply us with high-def programming via their New York stations, but still no luck from ABC and CBS.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
There is no way to know whether you will be able to receive digital television channels in Manassas VA until all the digital channels are actually at full power.

WJLA, WUSA, WDCW, and WPXW all are waiting until February 17.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
There is so much confusion about the issue that I doubt many of those in Congress even understand what they are voting for.

I actually heard a financial advisor on TV say "Gee, I'm surprised Circuit City is going out of business as everyone needs to get a new TV set". Someone on the Today Show said those $40 coupons you get are for new TVs, not the converter boxes.

Not that I would mind a delay. I still use an old Sony Watchman that can't be upgraded and will become trash after the switchover. I used it the other night.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
Hey Brian, where did you find that information?
The sites used to figure out what kind of antenna to use based on your location all ask if there are trees over 30 feet. That's definitely part of our problem, and I'm sure it affects lots of people in more rural areas.
If these stations aren't going "full power" until the switch happens, then we'll never know where the holes in the infrastructure are until we complete the switch.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
You won't, but the FCC and all the people who are making the decisions regarding this switch have full access to all the necessary information. See the results of the Washington DC study here: http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_...hington_DC.pdf

Manassas looks very well covered, but note that there is some, well-understood-in-advance, loss of coverage in Prince William County. While 89% of channels gain viewers, 11% will lose viewers. This is not a surprise. This was planned/deliberate/intentional/not-an-accident, despite what some folks might try to tell you. And these coverage maps prove it.

If you have a problem with the FCC's methodology, then all I can suggest to you is to become involved and put yourself in the position of defining the methodologies that the FCC uses. The way the world works is that the experts who puts themselves into the positions to do that work are the ones who do that work.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do you get analog broadcasts at your house?

My experience is opposite. I get lousy analog reception, so a week after moving in, I got cable. Last week I plugged in a $20 Radio Shack antenna and found the same lousy analog reception, but gorgeous digital HD reception.

I'm still opposed to the transition delay. But I understand the call from practical perspectives. First, it was rather foolish to enact a law that motivated people to be on their roofs in February. Second, as Hogie suggests, there may be people who get fine analog reception but will find digital a bust, due to multi-path and cliff problems.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
Yes, we can get analog signals at our house, but only with a roof antenna (came with the house, removed when we first signed up with DirecTV), and they are not very good. We pay extra to get our local channels thru DirecTV.

Brian, I appreciate the link and info. I don't have a problem with FCC's methodology. I'm just saying there will most likely be quite a few that will be taken by surprise, whether we switch now or in July.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks