What's new

Calls for delaying digital TV switchover (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. Four months isn't going to do anything when the people are either ignoring or are unaware of the situation. The only thing that will get their attention is when their TV doesn't work so you have to make the switch to 'force' those people to ever make the change.

Plus, if Neilsen is correct and there's 6 million people not ready for the switchover, that's a drop in the bucket when you compare it to the people who are ready.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
~May 20-22, 2009

"Washington Post - Senate Passes Bill to Delay Digital Switchover to October 5th"

"As the current four mont delay demonstrated, the truth is that we are not poised to do this transition right," Rockefeller said in a statement. "We are only weeks away from doing it dreadfully wrong -- and leaving consumers with the consequences. By delaying the transition until October, we give the FCC another chance to do it right."

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
PBS also mentions a very interesting dilemna with the delay. Broadcasters literally would have to renew contracts with those that use to provide signals to them that was scheduled to expire on 2/17/09. A delay into June on any month later than that can cost them millions. Very interesting point from The Associated Press regarding emergency reponse teams and how they were going to use the analog signal available for contacting emergency staff. Not sure this was thought through when this decision was made. The President and Congress is basing a decision on the few that effects the many.

Now most of us as you know have digital cable or satellite so we won't be effected in anyway. Those that have prepared for the change over and is ready for the change will probably be disappointed. I agree with Malcolm R. those that are not ready for 2/17/09 will not be ready in June or a later month. What's wrong with those that purchase a box with out a coupon, save their receipts and when money is available, send out vouchers for a mail in rebate. That way people get the discount needed and you don't delay the transition and finally billions are not wasted in advertising getting everyone ready and educated for Digital t.v.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
If they delay again I'm going to be thinking it's never going to happen. Question though, my parents have an older television. It's hooked up to a digital cable box, but they can't get certain channels regardless, even though, other, newer TVs in the house (still CRT non-High Def can get them) I have been told it's because some stations have already converted to digital. Can anyone confirm this?

Brian D H

Second Unit

I have a simple idea:
Why not just shut off the analog signal for NBC only on February 1 for about 30 minutes?

I guarantee that everyone who misses 30 minutes of the Superbowl will be ready by the deadline. If people still remember the "Heidi" debacle from 1968 they will certainly fix their TVs after this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Game

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor

Call me a softy, but I think that is a bit harsh. How about doing that durring prime time hours some weeknight. That will get peoples attention.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I saw a news report on television which made it sound like the proposed delay would give stations the option of continuing to broadcast on their old frequency. I think that's a reasonable idea. The stations shouldn't be required to simulcast, but if an individual station deems the expense worth it to retain those who are not prepared for the changeover then allow them to do so.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
That would be a lot easier to deal with if all the broadcasting stations was in that boat, but based on the previous article and PBS' article in Yahoo, some will be paying the extra penny.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I mean I love TV but I think there's more important things for Congress to be worrying about right now.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm surprised the House didn't pass it, since the Senate voted unanimously in favor of it or a similar bill.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The House and Senate tend to be very different beasts. For one thing, Senators tend to represent far larger constituencies. When the electorate of a single congressional district might not have any problems with the current DTV date, there might be a huge rural constituency elsewhere that would lose reception because of the switch. That's not to justify the Senate's idiocy, just to explain why Senators vote differently than House members.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

There's a school of thought that would rather see the Congress getting involved with things like this television switchover than mucking up something real. But, I guess this isn't the place for that discussion.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

I'm surprised and happy. It doesn't affect me, personally, but this switchover has been delayed enough. The only way people are going to be ready for this is if they are forced to be ready. There's just too much hand-holding in this country.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Without going into specifics, and thus violating forum policy, it helps to bear in mind that just as there are many companies that will benefit when the transition happens, there are others that would benefit greatly from a delay. Companies on both sides of the issue lobby and contribute to politicians of both parties. For all the high-flown rhetoric about moving our television system into the modern age or helping the old folks on the farm keep their TV a little longer, a lot of this comes down to money and where each congressperon's or senator's friends and supporters stand on the issue.

Regards,

Joe

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I just hope it ultimately leads to more HD programming and better signals, but since I get digital cable anyway and have for a long time, I'm probably hoping in vain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks