What's new

Calling Definitive owners! (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I am using a Definitive procinema surround system with a Velodyne sub. Is anyone out there using Definitive speakers with Denon or Onkyo receivers?

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I had the Pro200's (front), Pro100 (rear), C2 center and the 10' sub for a short time. I had them hooked up to a Denon 1802. I loved the C2 center, didn't care for the sub, and I liked the Pro 200's but not the 100's. I ended up trading them for JBL's.

BTW, I also used to live in HI, on Oahu. Boy do I miss that place.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
I'm using an Integra 9.1 (Onkyo 989) with (don't laugh) 6 ProMonitor 80s, a ProCenter 200, and one of their subs. Probably overkill, but I love the sound. And the SAF rated a 98% :D
~~Nathan

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I have the procinema100 w/prosub200 running off a Yamaha RXV620 and I am very pleased. I am however upgrading the speakers to DIY very soon.
I am also from Hawaii but live in CA now. I need a plate lunch!!!:D

PomingF

Second Unit
Kyle, I've been using my BP2000/CLR2000/BPX with an Onkyo TX-DS939 (the first generation DD flagship receiver) for over 4 years with great result. I also added a Velodyne SW & a Millennium DTS decoder later.

PF

Gary Ed

Auditioning
Hi,

I just bought Def Tech's. My config includes (with editorial comments):

Denon 2802 (solid receiver; lousy manual; great sound)

ProCenter C2 (great sound- really perks up TVs and DVDs)

PB2006 sides

PB1.2X surrounds

Overall, it's a great system for both music (with some compromise) and HT.

I do have some afterthoughts. Played Episode I last night. The base wasn't enough to make you shake.

I moved to the 2006s from a Pro100s, and still think that's a good move. The sound is MUCH better, especially for music. BUT, in making that move I returned a ProSub 100, thinking the 2x 8" subwoofers in the 2006s would be as good or better than 1x 10" sub. They aren't. I am seriously considering another switch -- either going to the 2004s to get 2x 10" built-in subwoofers or getting a stand alone subwoofer to augment the deep base. I'm going back to Magnolia HiFi next weekend. I figure I can spend about $400 or $500 more either way I go. Any suggestions? Can anyone recommend a decent subwoofer for that money?

Anyway, I love my DefTech's.

/Gary

DaveH

Auditioning
Had a Procinema 80 system with Velodyne Sub (CT100) running off an Onkyo 787. Just upgraded this weekend to the BP2006 for the two main fronts. Wow! Loved the 80 system but was really surprised to find the 80's working off the same drivers as the 2006. Two mains on the stereo setting fill the room like the all channel setting with the 80's. But now, have to upgrade the center; I don't think the ProCenter 100 matches as well as I'd like.

Bad news for the wife...one less XMas present for her.

DaveH

Auditioning
Gary Ed: saw you typed your post right as I did mine. How do you like the ProC2 with the 2006? My salesman was really hitting me up for the Center 2300(?) because of the built in sub capability with the center channel, and I like matching the shiny piano gloss, but I also am looking to minimize the $ damage and the C2 may fit the bill.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Kyle:

I have the Def Tech BP 20s, CLR 1000 center and BPX surrounds. I just picked up an SV Sub to go with it and if you read all the other reviews on their subs I do not think you could go wrong with one of them added to your system.

Believe me the added base response is worth it.

Parker

Gary Ed

Auditioning
DaveH:

"How do you like the ProC2 with the 2006? My salesman was really hitting me up for the Center 2300"

As I said in my posting, I've been getting system envy as soon as I brought my system home and read about other peoples' systems. The 2300 is a pretty system. To tell the truth, I did not spend as much time with powered centers as a should have. The difference between powered and not powered sides is incredible, even with the small drivers (4 1/2 inch). I would spend some quality time with the 2300's before making up my mind.

I have to say, though, I am truly impressed with the ProC2 I bought. It adds real drama to everything I watch. I have been tweeking the settings because it actually overbalanced the 2006s the way I had everything set up.

As for cosmetics, you have to like the looks of what you buy, too. You will be living with them a long time...longer than a lot of marriages last.

But, the cost differential is real. I got mine retail at 10%off list, so mine cost $270 while the 2300 would have run me $540 (twice as much). I figured I'd put the $270 difference elsewhere in the system, being happy with the C2 sound.

/Gary

Gary Ed

Auditioning
Parker Clark:

I should have read more of the thread before replying to DaveH.

"I have the Def Tech BP 20s, CLR 1000 center and BPX surrounds. I just picked up an SV Sub to go with it and if you read all the other reviews on their subs I do not think you could go wrong with one of them added to your system."

Two comments.

First, I'm curiously why you whent with the CLR 1000 over the C2 or the 2300. Also, do you have a response to DaveH's question?

Second, I've been hearing/reading a lot about SVS, and plan on test driving one soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

/Gary

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the ProMonitor 200's up front, 100's in the rear, and ProCenter C2 in the middle, driven from a Denon 2801. So far I'm very happy with the setup. Maybe one day I'll upgrade the speakers, but there's a lot of other stuff to do first.
Oh, I suppose I should mention my SVS 20-39PC as well... ;)

Andrew Santos

Stunt Coordinator
i have a pair of promonitor 200s, a procenter c2, and a pf15tl. it's taken me a really long time to get used to the sound of the 200s. for some reason, they sound very thin and nasally to me on vocals, both male and female. i'm thinking maybe i have a defective pair, and will get them repaired when i have a chance. i think it must be something wrong with mine, because i haven't seen anyone else say anything that bad about them. and mine just don't sound right...

Keith Carlascio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith
Hi,

I'm running BP30, CLR2500, BP2006TL(Sides) and BPX(EX Center), along with 2 SVS 20's. The mains are running off a Denon 5800 and the SVS off the Samson 700.

I really like the sound. It’s smooth and can be driven to a point where my pregnant wife starts to tell me the baby is kicking her.

Keir H

Second Unit
I have before, a while back. I used to own a Denon 2700 to help power my Def Tech BP-30s/CLR2000/BP6. Now I have HK AVP1 and HK 5800 which powers it much better although these speakers are thirsty for a more beefier amp.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Gary:

I went with the 20s, CLR 1000 because that is what was new at the time I bought them about 9/10 years ago. I have never updated them.

I don't have an Onkyo or Denon receiver but I can comment on the overall sound of the Def Techs being fantastic. Like you I really love their sound.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks