What's new

Call to Warner Brothers: Give us Dolby TrueHD on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
This is starting to get rediculous. Happy Feet is yet another BD from Warner Brothers without the lossless Dolby TrueHD available on the HD DVD.

The madness has to stop. WB: We *all* want lossless audio... both HD DVD and BD consumers alike. There's no technical reason you can't supply it. So start doing it.

NOW.

PLEASE!

:angry:

p.s. also worth noting is that we'd like our Dolby True HD 20-24 bit in resolution and without dialog-normalization. Is is IMPOSSIBLE to get a bit-for-bit PCM signal from a Dolby Decoder with dialog normalization set even if the codec stored a bit-for-bit copy prior to D.N. processing. Since it isn't defeatable in current consumer gear, don't set the flag. We want bit-for-bit lossless. Nothing less.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
David, I agree in general with your sentiment. I would just like one adendum. Put DolbyTrueHD on all releases on both formats. I really don't care what form it takes, PCM, Dolby or DTS, but put it on the releases.

The lossless issue seems to be very much hit or miss with Warner and Paramount. I have excluded Universal because their past track record has shown that they just won't use it. Too bad.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
One reason I've nearly stopped buying HD-DVDs alltogether, no TrueHD on most all of'em. At least BD is giving us LPCM tracks on most all theirs.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I do agree too. For now, I've only bought into HD DVD but if your going to go to the trouble AND expense to release on both formats, then why not provide equal image/sound.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
If we can not get the fromats merged together as one, than I would love to see a HD audio format that is both standard and mandatory (at least at the hardware level) across the board. I really don't care if it is Dolby or DTS or even PCM.

It amazes me that a little company (compared to the big boys) like Weinstein continues to release their product with Dolby TrueHD. Even films like Clerks II had it and Warner and Paramont can't or won't.

I think one of the the major snafus the BD hardware camp made was not requiring mandatory support at the hardware level of Dolby and/or DTS. While we can argue the merits of PCM vrs. Dolby vrs. DTS, it would be nice to be arguing this based on the SQ of the disks. When the studios do not put it on the disk, the argument becomes next to meaningless. What a shame.

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Yep count me in as a guy who thinks Warner should have the same audio on both formats. Seeing as I am format neutral, I much prefer saving a few extra bucks on the bluray versions since the dvd side of the hd dvd combo is useless to me. Since I became format neutral there have been 2 "new" warner movies on both formats that I ordered. Got the PCM track on the departed but on Happy Feet I'm getting the shaft audio wise.

How about future releases are like the departed with pcm instead of just reg DD. Come on Warner...:)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I really wish Warner's favoring of HD DVD over Blu-ray would stop. I mean it's gotten so very blatant. If they are going to support both formats, then do it equally which obviously includes audio too.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely.

And when we say "every" movie, we mean EVERY movie. There is no such thing as a movie that wouldn't benefit from lossless. Even movies from the 1930's with optical mono-audio sound BETTER in lossless than they do compressed with psychoacoustic models. Anyone with a collection of laserdiscs will tell you that it's been a long 10 years of anemic sound on DVD with mono/stereo films that sounded rhobust, rich, and full-bodied on laserdisc.

Warner, get with the program!

And I'll confess that I've done the same as other posters in this thread... when I have $50 to spend on HD titles... I spend that money first on titles with HD image *and* sound. Lossy DD titles from WB bounce to the bottom of the to-buy list for that reason.

Lossless audio, it's the new "anamorphic for sound" issue of the HD era.

dave

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I agree. It would makes sense to have lossless audio, in whatever format, on both BD and HD DVD. It levels the playing field, to some extent. By not including lossless on both, dual format providers like Paramount and Warner leave their true allegiances in question. All the more reason for me to sit out the format war.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
No lossless on Superman Returns should be illegal. At least the european disc get a PCM-track and it is region free

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I definitely agree that it's completely ridiculous for the Blu Ray to receive a lesser treatment on the audio front. There is plenty of data space available. Step up to the plate.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Same here. There's several titles I've passed up from both Warner and Paramount because of lossy audio. Some titles like the Mission Impossible films would certainly have been must-haves for me. But not at 640kbps. Superman II at 384kbps is a joke. I shudder to think of what a waste it will be when Warner releases 2001:a space odyssey if it doesn't have a lossless track.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
No Analog out, no HDMI. The XBox 360 is hardware bound, not a fault of the drive, but rather the game consol. Hopefully this will be resolved with the 360 Elite with looks like a real item. But then again, the PS3 is sitting with no analoug out for it's audio. I suposse I should have restricted my comment to stand alone players. XBox 360 Elite

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

And all of these discrepences between format-specs for decoding in players on both sides of the format fence will be moot in a year's time when most/all players on both sides decode all advanced formats.

The PS3 did more decoding out-of-the-box than the first-gen HD DVD player from Toshiba. And the PS3 will be upgradable to DTS-HD MA decoding which so far Toshiba has not suggested regarding any of its players. It's a red-herring to suggest that the hardware on either side has an inherent advantage if we take a long-term view of both formats, neither of which provide fully-feature for advanced audio at the moment.

But there's a bright side: since HD DVD and BD players can give you usable audio from either Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA encoded software (even if not fully decoding), there's NOTHING stopping the software producers from providing software that takes full advantage of what advanced audio can provide. If your player right now (or with its current firmware) can't provide full quality, you get better-than-DVD sound today and you'll get lossless sound tomorrow.

Win-win.

AlexBC

Second Unit
I'm voting with my wallet too.

I haven't bought a single titles without lossless audio, no matter how much I want the movie (ohhh that Mission Impossible box set got me scratching myself, but I refused to purchase it)

DanR

Supporting Actor
I have already passed such sentiments on to the folks over at Paramount (on behalf of both formats). ;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ...sure ya did Dan. :P ;)
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks