What's new

California 6.5 earthquake (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Anyone felt the earthquake? I am across the street from San Francisco City Hall and felt it, saw my blinds swaying back and forth. I was thinking I had way too much eggnog....but it was true. Confirmed it on USGS website as well.

Apparently, the quake happened a few miles from the Hearst Castle.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I felt it, ... I worked @ KLA-Tencor in Milpitas, CA and we felt the earthquake - swaying back and forth lasted about 30+ seconds, fortunately no shaking strong enough to knock things off the cabinets!

KGO Radio in San Francisco also felt this quake!

FYI: From the USGS website

Definitely the ultimate sub!!!

Phil

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Drudge is practically in hysterics over it, the guy has some kind of earthquake fetish... yet he lives in Florida.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I only heard about it by reading the AP wire. Even though the report said it could be felt in downtown Los Angeles (where I work) as a "gentle, swaying motion" I felt nothing.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Anyone who went to Cal Poly knows how close this was to Diablo Grande nuclear power plant, which is potentially scary, but apparently, unaffected.

I work about 150 miles +- from the epicenter, and didnt feel anything. Musta been moving around too much in my office.... :frowning:

I am sure it was felt here in town though, just not by me.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I work in Oakland and unknowingly felt it; I was sitting donw and wondered why I was swaying back and forth for awhile--thought I was getting dizzy!:) I believe there was another, smaller quake last week in the Bay Area as well.

Not much to get worked up about--considering the horrific SF quake in 1989, today's was pretty minor.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thoughts and prayers to those who may have been affected. I live in West L.A. and didn't feel anything. But I lived through the 94 Northridge quake, and the 89 S.F. quake (grew up in NorCal) so I'm an "old hand" at these things...not that I wanted to be one...

Well it's nothing major for those not near it, but 6.5 is pretty devastating to anyone within 50 miles radius of the epicenter. The Northridge one measured 6.8 and was devastating. I don't remember if the '89 quake surpassed 7.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
The '89 quake was 7.1.

Perhaps I was underestimating today's quake; I just read early reports, but now news is coming in that a few people have already died.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I'm also in Mt. View (Phil, we do work for KLA) I'm on the second floor, and the swaying was quite pronounced in our building. For a brief second, it felt like a pre-fainting spell, until everyone else started exclaiming 'earthquake!' This one was a lot more prolonged than the ones I'm used to.

3 people have died as a result of this quake, all due to collapsed structures.

~j

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
My wife and brother both felt it. She works in Santa Clara, and he is in Concord. I work in Emeryville but I didn't feel a thing.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Carlo, sounds like you and I are neighbors. As I said, didn't feel anything. But it was said that the Loma Prieta 'quake could be felt in downtown L.A., and, again, I felt nothing on that awful day (other than hoping the World Series would just end up being cancelled; it was an awful season, if you will recall). Yep, that 'quake was a 7.1. Northridge was a 6.8, as you note. Thing is, the '94 event illuminated the little-known realities about "thrust faults," which have the effect of "amplifying" the temblor. As a result, people in Hollywood got just about as powerful a jolt as did the residents of Northridge (I lived in Hollywood at that time, and my sister in Northridge; both our places were pummeled).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks