What's new

Calibration Recommendation for Samsung UN55ES7100? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just purchased this set along with an Oppo 93 yesterday. TV from Amason, Oppo from Oppo directly. Both are enroute. I'm not prepared to spend the money on a professional calibration (I know the wife isn't, had to do some persuasion just to get the TV) and would like a recommendation on a calibration disc.
This is quite a stepup for me, from a 46" Sammy and an average Sony blu-ray player.
I've seen a recommendation for the Disney WOW disc and after reading the Amazon reviews, it looks like it might be the one for me.
Any thoughts?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Nice disc.
The Spears and Munsil one is nice too as is the Digital Video Essentials HD basics one.
All will help you set up the basic user controls.
The verbal stuff for the contrast part in the WOW disc may not be clear.
Then again there is always the free AVSHD disc that you can download ... burn and use.
Regards

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
That's a nice-looking TV, Johnny. I also have the Oppo 93, and love it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Steve Tannehill said:
That's a nice-looking TV, Johnny. I also have the Oppo 93, and love it.
I have been reading about the 93 (and lusting for it) on this forum for what seems like years. Now that I'm getting, it's being replaced. How ironic.
I could have waited for the replacement, but decided I wanted the 93 since it can definitely be made region-free. I've mentioned elsewhere, but I'll repeat here that as of yesterday, Oppo has a "very few" refurbished 93's(what I bought) 93's on hand. If you want one, call Oppo soon. They don't show the refurbished models as being available on the web site.
They go for $415 plus $18 shipping.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Michael TLV said:
Greetings
Nice disc.
The Spears and Munsil one is nice too as is the Digital Video Essentials HD basics one.
All will help you set up the basic user controls.
The verbal stuff for the contrast part in the WOW disc may not be clear.
Then again there is always the free AVSHD disc that you can download ... burn and use.
Regards
thanks for the suggestions which I will look into. Is that AVSHD need to be burned onto a blu-ray? I can't do that.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Johnny Angell said:
thanks for the suggestions which I will look into. Is that AVSHD need to be burned onto a blu-ray? I can't do that.
It can be burned to a DVD, using a file format that can be read by many BD players.

myrthin

Auditioning
Real Name
John Williamson
I used the free one. It worked well.
You'll have to calibrate yourself due to differences in sets room and lighting conditions, but a few general things I've noticed.
I'd turn off most of the various enhancements. No dynamic contrast. No dark enhancement. Clear or no movement correction. No flesh tone enhancement. I think you should calibrate in all three modes (movie, standard, and dynamic) as well as 3D (which completely changes the settings). In my tests, with 2D content, contrast can be turned all the way up on this set (I detected no color change with this). Sharpness should be zero. Backlight should be relatively low (depending on conditions). Gamma enhancement can be helpful, depending.

ladyg11

Agent
Real Name
gail
Re: the suggestions posted here - Outside of of pro calibration how do I get rid of this live video instead of film look Im getting with movies. I have a Sammy 55in 3d set also.

Joshua Quain

Insider
Real Name
Joshua Quain
Hi Ladyg11, the first step is turning off the super high refresh rate that the display has out of the box. This is one of the first things I typically do (besides calibration of course). I hope this helps.

ladyg11

Agent
Real Name
gail
I dont see that option on the menu. Maybe it comes under a different heading ?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Gail take a photo of the adv menu page and email it to me. Ill tell you the setting. (there are actually several that should be on the off position).

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
ladyg11 said:
Re: the suggestions posted here - Outside of of pro calibration how do I get rid of this live video instead of film look Im getting with movies. I have a Sammy 55in 3d set also.
I've said for years......... the best way to get the film look on a new tv, is to get a DLP set. To me (my personal opinion), you can't get rid of the video look on a plasma, LCD, or LED. People are willing to fore-go the better picture, for the "cool factor", of being able to hang the tv on the wall. Good luck.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
ladyg11 said:
This is what I did and it worked for me. Menu-->>Picture-->>Picture Options-->>Auto Motion Plus--Set it to Clear While you're there set LED motion Plus to Off. I can't remember if I had to do this or not, but I have it Off. I think this will help.

ladyg11

Agent
Real Name
gail
Gregg Loewen said:
hi Gail take a photo of the adv menu page and email it to me. Ill tell you the setting. (there are actually several that should be on the off position).
Here ya go. Let me know if the pictures don't post.
3c4e1b1c_20130207_101058.jpeg
d3fac223_20130207_101141.jpeg
a6bbb4f9_20130207_101220.jpeg

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Gail Go to Movie Mode. Contrast at 85. Back light at the mid point (or up to 3/4 range) Black level (brightness at 45). Color at 50 Sharp at 10 Color Space should be auto Motion lighting off Please also post the Picture option screens (the above is a good start to getting you close)

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Leave tint centered. turn auto motion plus off (and not standard) turn LED Motion Plus off too. Also under the screen adjustment - select perfect pixel or native or whatever, NOT 16x9.

ladyg11

Agent
Real Name
gail
Gregg Loewen said:
hi Leave tint centered. turn auto motion plus off (and not standard) turn LED Motion Plus off too. Also under the screen adjustment - select perfect pixel or native or whatever, NOT 16x9.
Screen adj choices were: Screen fit Wide fir 4:3 Zoom 1or 2 16:9 I chose screen fit? And yes things look better - not great but better. I guess leave the rest up to you (did u get my message to schedule)

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
screen fit would be good. This will put the display in 1 to 1 pixel mode for the most crisp image. yes on the message! thanks. I have you on my "get to list". Figure May - June.

nodixe

Auditioning
Its the auto motion plus (AMP) that interpolates the frames and gives the material a soap opera feel so make sure its off. The LED motion plus just turns the scanning backlight on/off. I think this is for black frame insertion to reduce motion blur and shouldn't affect anything except light output as the black frame makes it dimmer.Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks