What's new

Calibration of an Epson 8350 (1 Viewer)

BrianC33

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Cox
Hello ~ I'm new to the home theatre arena but understand enough to know that I need to calibrate my Epson 8350. I was going to call an ISF calibration expert in...but the price of $450 was a bit too much to swallow. So, I started investigating "home driven" DVDs/Bluerays for a "do-it-yourselfer." Can anyone out there recommend a solid disc for calibration? Further, I've seen on some websites, probably due to the fact that this particular projector has been reviewed so extensively over the last year, display their "post calibration" numbers (http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-8350/index.php.) Can these numbers be trusted, or since my screen gain and distance from screen is specific to my application calibration must be performed on its own? Thank you.

Joel Barsotti

Insider
Real Name
SpectraCal Developer
Calibration numbers from other people aren't very reliable for flat panels and even less so for projectors. Since projectors are so effected by their environment you really need to calibrate each projector after install. There are a lot of discs out there, probably two of the best are the Joe Kane Digital Video Essentials and the Spears and Munsel disk. Both of those discs are fairly comprehensive in walking you through the calibration process and giving you a though explanation about why you are making the changes you are making. The AVS709 disc is a free download, has great patterns, but no real hand holding or explanation.

BrianC33

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Cox
Thanks...actually...a friend at work gave me the Spears and Munsel disk and I tried it tonight to just get my feet wet. Oddly, when I got to the second input, Contrast, I wasn't able to see most of the calibration items the dist was referring to or showed on the "correct" and "incorrect" examples. Through my research I understand the DVE calibration tool is much more intuitive and easier to use.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings There is a setting in the Epson that will make the other bars in the contrast pattern show up ... Something liked ...expanded range ... It should be noted that the effort to calibrate a $1200 budget projector like this is the same as if the projector cost $5000 or $10000. The price is the price ... it just does not become cost effective and that is understandable. If fees were modified based on the cost of the projector ... then people would be demanding free calibrations from a calibrator because they paid nothing for theirs .. :D regards

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys I am guessing that probably 80-90% of my clients own a calibration disc. Out of those perhaps maybe 5-10% have used the disc correctly. FWIW, Gregg

BrianC33

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Cox
Gregg...can you recommend a good disk that DIY have had some luck using? Or...are you suggesting just paying the $450 and having a trained ISF professional calibrate the system. Out of the box the Epson (IMO) is pretty darn good, but based on what I've read on this forum and other AV forums/discussions...calibration is a MUST...for video and audio...to get the most out of your Home Theatre. Agree??

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Video Essential BD Basics is a great disc. Most of my customers (who are all very tech savy) own it. the vast majority of them didnt use it correctly. I am recommending professional calibration, unless you dont value your time and want to "fiddle around with settings". I recommend a trained "THX Professional" calibrate the video.

BrianC33

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Cox
Thanks Gregg. Unfortunately, there is not a THX Professional within 100 miles of Dallas, Tx--go figure. So, I may call around to a couple more ISF calibrators and see if the $450 is typical. I will pick up a copy of the Video Essentials disk in the mean time.

Dave Zee

Auditioning
Real Name
David Zamora
This is a great thread. I just purchased my Epson 8350 this past Black Friday. Best Buy had it listed for $999, so I had to snatch it up (plus, I've been saving up for 8350 for the past couple months). I'd love to see more knowledge sharing on the calibration of this projector. I've also heard a lot of good things about Disney WOW, and am considering that as it's pretty user friendly. Also, my Elite Screens ER92WH1 Sable Fixed Frame 92" just came in today, and I'm really excited about getting everything tweaked and ready for some cinema watching. Just a little info on my setup, I have a dedicated 12' x 14' media room with 5.1 surround. I need to paint my beige walls a dark chocolate color soon, but I digress... -dave

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings Pricing is usually from $250 to $450 range. Figure out the max that you figure that you might want to spend and run it by a reputable THX guy. The worse it could be is ... No. So no change from where you are now. A person would be foolish to turn down a job on some evening where the alternative is to sit at home and make ... $0 ... DVE is a good disc to begin with. So is the spears and munsil test disc. Both help you tackle the user controls. As gregg mentioned ... 5%-10% of his clients that claimed to have used these test discs actually used them correctly. I'm more generous and say that 50% of my clients that said they used a test disc before hiring me ... ended up doing it wrong. They were not able to follow instructions correctly. Problem is ... 100% of the clients that used the test discs all told me that they did it right ... when half of them actually did it wrong. So when a person tells me they used a test disc, I ask myself if they are in the 50% that are unwittingly lying to me. This is like how everyone claims they are a good driver and yet we still have accidents caused by the same good drivers. Someone is lying. regards

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The best cal. disc for a beginner is the Disney WOW disc. Other people's settings are worthless. The problem with Art's settings at Projectorreviews.com is they calibrate all the projectors with the bulb in high power mode. Most people use their bulb in low power mode, unless absolutely necessary. This makes his settings worthless if you use low power mode anyway.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings And his room is different and his screen is different and his gear is different. Think all these things are somehow made to tight military tolerances? Time to wake up from that delusion. regards

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Michael TLV said:
Greetings And his room is different and his screen is different and his gear is different. Think all these things are somehow made to tight military tolerances? Time to wake up from that delusion. regards
Definitely

Jimmy_S

Grip
So what are people doing wrong when they try this on there own? Are they just not following instructions or is it some thing else?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The cal. discs I've used are easy to use as long as you watch the instructions first. The Disney WOW disc is said to be great for beginners. The DVE and Spears and Munsil discs are not good for beginners.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks