What's new

Calibrating different inputs on TV (1 Viewer)

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
Since my XBR400 holds different values for different inputs on the tv, I would like to know how I calibrate the cable input using avia or ve?

could I record some avia patterns to a vhs tape and play them back to the tv though the coax connection to calibrate cable levels?

thanks,

david

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

This area is a lost cause as programming material varies from channel to channel.

some are brighter ... some darker ... some too green, some too red ...

The moment you set it up, the next channel you watch will be wrong ...

Regards

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
*sigh* I was wondering the same thing. I wish I could get my set calibrated for 480i on s-video and 480p, 720p, and 1080i on the YPbPr component inputs. My Panasonic PT-56WFX95A does 720p, which I would have liked to use. This turned into a moot point though, as my local ISF guy told me no tvs do that. :frowning: Needless to say, I haven't called on him again.
~~Nathan

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
When the president addressed the nation back in September, it gave a good opportunity to check out all the local channels and how they displayed the same feed. Some were close, but even doing a quick flip I could see a difference in each channel.

As I have Direct TV I get my local channels over the air. The channels come in fairly well, but the stations don't go out of their way to optimize their over the air transmissions as they rely on cable to carry their signals. Idaho is a state with a high percentage of satellite users and demand for quailty over the air transmissions is rising.

Even cable is no guarantee of a good signal. About 15 years ago I lived in Idaho Falls and got the ABC feed from a station in Pocatello, and one from Salt Lake City. The feed from Pocatello on cable was unwatchable, even on my modest set of the time. When I called the Pocatello station I was told that no else complained. I didn't believe them, but it didn't matter to me. I still got a good feed from SLC. I also got to watch their commercials. If no one complains about crappy signals, then I guess we deserve the quality of TV that we are fed.

I don't know enough about what a TV can be programed to do, but the idea of having a set that can recognize diffent channels with the capability of saving display settings would be a good selling point.

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
The premium channels (HBO, etc) occasionally broadcast color bar patterns, called "Signal Off" in the DirectTV guide. I found calibrating my set to this test pattern gives me much better results than calibrating w/AVIA (and assuming DirectTV's output is the same).

They don't all broadcast the same pattern though. One of them (Showtime?) just puts up full bars so it's useless, but one (HBO?) puts up the color bar patches plus the pluge in the lower right for calibrating black level.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks