What's new

Cadillac CTSi - V8, Fall 2003 (1 Viewer)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
There is so much more to "performance" than 0-60 & 1/4 mile times IMO, there's cornering speed, the amount of feedback the driver receives while cornering, and the precision with which the driver can place the car in a corner. Its the less measurable factors that put the M3 head and shoulders above the competition.

For me there's no point having a car than can 0-60 in under 5 seconds if it understeers like a cow through the corners and you are lucky to put it with a foot or 2 of the apex of
the corner.

Power to weight ratio is important, but so is absolute weight and the distribution of the weight front & rear. The M3 is relatively light (has an I-6 not a V-8) and has good weight distribution (close to 50/50) Even if the V-8 CTS comes close to the straight line acceleration numbers of the M3 I doubt it would be in the same league when it comes to handling.

To me a much better comparison than 0-60 or 1/4 mile times would be to compare cars driven by the same driver and a road course, the difference in lap times will say more about which is the "faster" car than who can do a 1/4 mile quicker.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
welp, guess what I just cruised around in... you guessed it, a brand new CTS. My girlfriend invited me to have dinner with her family and her mom's 50th b-day gift was the new caddy....the navigation system was the coolest part.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
******************Thread Revival*******************
Remember I said "BMW M3, meet your match" about 2 years ago? Everyone gawked. "more like IMPALA meet your match" or "Ya suuure" or "BMW has nothing to fear from Cadillac" Welllllll the CTS-V has been out for some time now, and just take a look at these great reviews (you might have to be a member to view):
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=12834
Here are some reviews:
I had planned on getting an 2003 M3, and drove one and put it through its paces, and then decided that I'd wait for the V. BMW tried a 4 door M3 in their last series, but I just couldn't warm up to it. I had an E30 M3 for a few years, then sold it for a LS1 Camero SS because I didn't like the next generation M3s.
It used to be that GM performance cars had power but they were stifly sprung and brakes and seating were marginal. This V combines a great ride with great responsiveness in all aspects. Any car with a big engine will go down the road fast, but I have not found any sedan that handles as well, brakes as well, rides as well, and looks as great. It is truly in a class by itself and it is all U.S. I also spent some time on the track last year driving Z06s and other C5s. As far as I am concerned the V is a much better all around car and just as much fun to drive.
read em and weep!
I stand my groud: "M3 meet your match!!"

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
At $52,000 I'd hardly consider it a killer. Plus you get the bonus of GM reliability for $52k :)
What I'd love to see is a shootout between the BMW M, The CTS-V, Mercedes C32AMG, and the Audi S4 Quattro.
I wonder if Cadillac will offer a manual shift mode like the BMW soon?

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see at least one naysayer take back their comments! or are you too ashamed? ;)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Is it GM's reliability that discourages you? How bout the concerns about German electrical defects? How about the M3 engine blowing up on 100 people before BMW did something about it?

more photos of the E46 engine after failure
At least there are consumer protection laws in the U.S. for quick response to product safety issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks