What's new

Cables - driving me Crazy! (1 Viewer)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
My frustration is growing ...
Im rearranging the components of my basement HT to accomodate a new FP & DVD Recorder. Of course, I need several new cables and a few a require fairly long runs. I think I need about 35' to run the video from my new Panny DVD-Recorder to my X1 projector. I want component-video, but even s-video is $$$.

How come it's so hard to find long cable runs locally and
Why do these things have to be so damn expensive. I've looked at www.bettercables.com and www.bluejeanscable.com and I have sticker shock -- $125.00 + S/H! :eek: I can buy a prog scan DVD player for less than that!

Help -- Has anyone else found something like "bargaincables.com"

Scott

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
By the way, you may very well want to build your own cables in this case. Get some high quality quad shielded RG6 and decent connectors, then solder them on. This will probably be cheaper than any name brand cable, plus if you need BNC on one end and RCA on the other it'll be a lot cheaper.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Perusing the websites commonly given on this site and others, its going to be nearly impossible to find a 35 feet set of component cables for under $125. I checked A4l, PE, and all the custom houses and indeed you are looking at $125 + shipping which really is only about 10% of your video budget. I've seen cables cost a heckuva lot more :)

In this case I'd either 1) make my own or 2) suck it up and pay the $125. Making your own will save you some $$ but you may be like me and not very adept at doing this. My friend looked locally and ended up buying his from http://www.avcable.com and they are fantastic cables. I believe they are gepco iirc. They will probably be the same $$ as the others you listed above.

I can buy a prog scan DVD player for less than that!
Not a very good one of course ;)

Another option is to figure out how you can lessen the runs on your cabling. That might save you some $$ but it may cost you some $$ too.

Good Luck.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Think you guys need to double check your findings. Heres just one example. For the high performance Belden 1694a component cable with Canare connectors.
Rhinocables.com 11m $79.95 shpg $9.95

Others sell the same cable for similar prices.If you are looking for reasonable prices I'd not look at Bettercables but go with one of these custom cable makers: Rhino, Bluejeans, Heartland, AVcable.

Mika-H

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, I sent you an e-mail about the set of 25' long DIY component cables I'm selling for $25/shipped :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I followed that link and you must click on the left side where it says connectrix to get the price Chu quoted.

Mika-H

Stunt Coordinator
That's "Connectronics". I see them on eBay all the time. They may work perfectly, but I HATE molded connectors :frowning:

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Thank you all for the tips. The Connectronics from Markertek was exactly what I was looking for. I ordered a 50' component cable. Markertek prices seem much more reasonable to me. After I get the cable, I'm going to do a comparison (move the player close to my X1 FPj) and compare the Connectronics 50' to a high quality 1 meter cable.

Right now, I'm using a cheap 35' s-video cable. Connectronics component HAS TO BE an improvement over that.

Thanks again ... Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks