Cable without a converter box to my Projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John Besse, Nov 12, 2012.

1. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    I hope I've got the right area for this post...
    My wife and I finally decided to cut the cable a while ago, and do without paying for cable television. Now, we simply have basic television with Brighhouse and Road Runner internet. With our LCD TVs, we can plug the coaxial cable into the television and get the basic channels that we get with the package. However, as my projector doesn't have a coaxial input (or a digital tuner) what is the easiest way to get basic cable over to the projector?
    I've thought about buying a VCR/DVD-r combo with digital tuner, but the only units I'm finding are used and/or refurbished for around $175 and up. Does anyone else have an idea on how to get that coaxial cable converted into either a component or HDMI source and plugged into the back of my projector?

2. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown
    Try an internet search for ATSC/QAM digital tuners.

3. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    Search yielded a bunch of different options, but the one I found that meets everything I like is the Channel Master 7001. With a toslink out and HDMI, the thing does what I need. Priced at $125, but the reviews are good and it will solve the problem - also alleviates the VCR/DVDr Combo unit that I really don't want! I thank you much for the info.

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    John, do you know if those cable channels are in HD? If not, they're going to look AWFUL when blown up on the projector. I use a Centronics OTA HD tuner with my antenna and projector, and it works great.