What's new

cable modem with AT&T Broadband (1 Viewer)

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I just found out that I can now receive cable internet service from AT&T. I want to buy my own cable modem though. I have been looking at the Netgear line but none of them are listed on the AT&T site as recommended modems to use. Anybody hear using a Netgear cable modem with AT&T? Any good models to look at closer? Any to stay away from? I'm definately going to get a hardware firewall so one of the decisions I am still undecided on is to whether or not to get a firewall/cable modem combo unit or to get the two seperately...

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
Nevermind... After reading the specs more closely, the Netgear devices aren't what I was looking for. I'm just going to rent a modem that AT&T provides.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, I hate renting hardware as much as the next guy. However, in this case, renting their product will remove the possibility of one company blaming another for any possible problems you may encounter. I mean if you have a problem, what do you think ATT will blame if you have a "third party" modem?
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp
[Edited last by CRyan on September 06, 2001 at 08:36 PM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I am an ATTB customer and their equipment is not bad. In 12 months I've only had 2 down-time days, and they were sequential, and it was a system-wide problem. Calling the 800 number, the people knew of the problem and advised me that they were working hard on it. 48 hours later, everything was up and running again, and no interruptions since.
Also, I've not had a problem with their software (though I don't think much is actually installed in your PC).
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks