What's new

Cable Guy,,highly Overlooked (1 Viewer)

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
I did some IMDB hunting,and found out,John was in it,,but he played the mild mannered one,odd.
I bet theyll eventually put it out though.

The Medevil Times Fight was great. Andy Dick was funny stuff. God that whole Medevil times scene was so funny,, "hey give me your skin,check it out,Silence of the Lambs,,Good Evening Clarice" HAHHA
and OH MAN the Answering Machine,,I still do that to my friends,,Pickuppickuppickuppickuppickup,,,,hehehe ,,and "was in the shower thought I heard the phone ,that ever happen to you,call me well talk about it"., hhehe,,,heres another
Wow the old mcnair place,never thought theyd get the floors clean after what happened in here.
why what happend?
THey had alot of cats.
HAHAHA Great stuff.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The film got a bum rap mainly because it wasn't the film most people were expecting. They were expecting something more along the lines of Ace Ventura, which was Jim Carrey being a goof. I don't think people were expecting such a dark edge to this film.

I think it is also because Jim Carrey got paid a lot of money for this film. (Was it $10mil?)

Jason

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking he got more along the lines of 20 mil..but I may be wrong. Cant exacly remember

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I think The Cable Guy is a brilliant black comedy. There are so many great scenes in the film I can't count them all. Certainly it was hampered simply because Carrey was a rising star and the film was WAY left field for everyone, even the critics apparently.

It's a personal favorite.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Yeah, The Cable Guy was just not what people expected and it sucks because it is a very funny movie. I heard so much bad pub I expected the worst but I liked it quite a bit.

Funniest line was when Jim is singing Kareoke and goes up to the short old man....."Look everyone, a little baby has been born on this side of the party." I just think that is sooo funny.

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
Im glad to see so many people who love this movie, Thats great,it deserves it. Goodtimes.ah yes Goodtimes.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Cable Guy, directed by Ben Stiller, right?

I'll say it again, Ben Stiller is the central comedic force working in the country today. Every one of his films is a classic, in one way or another. And his TV show, cancelled so quickly, is also a classic and soon to be available on DVD.

Cable Guy
Flirting with Disaster
There's Something About Mary
Meet The Parents
Zoolander
The Royal Tenenbaums

plus Ben does great dramatic work, as well:

Your Friends and Neighbors

I saw him onstage in 1986, in The House of Blue Leaves, when he was something like 21, and he was brilliantly amazing, even then.

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
He is great,Hilarious. I always anticipate anything with him in it,or when he is directing something. Funny Stuff.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I think it's hilarious when he's knocking on the door at the beginning. The way he is yelling, banging on the door, and hitting the buzzer is great.

Adam Brandner

Stunt Coordinator
DeeF, you might be on to something there. Ben Stiller may in fact be the central comedic force working in the country today. His TV show was great (can't wait to get the DVD) and essentially launched the careers of Andy Dick, Janeane Garofalo, and Bob Odenkirk (all of whom are in Cable Guy). Andy Dick and Janeane Garofalo have both done a lot stuff since, and Bob Odenkirk went on to create the HBO comedy, Mr. Show, with David Cross, who was also in a few episodes of The Ben Stiller Show, as well as Cable Guy. Mr. Show was incredibly funny, ran for a few years, and still has a huge following. Jack Black was on the Mr. Show cast for its first couple years, and then went on to make his own short-lived HBO comedy, Tenacious D, with Kyle Gass (both of whom appear in Cable Guy). There are other lesser-known actors who were on Mr. Show that seem to pop up relatively often, but aren't really important enough to mention (yet). Basically, what I'm saying is that it in addition to all of the great movies DeeF mentioned, it looks like Ben Stiller is indirectly responsible for the rise of many actors and shows that I consider to be in the upper echelon of modern comedy. It's just amazing that it all goes back to a TV show that only produced 13 episodes. And of course, to Cable Guy, which featured every person listed above, plus Jim Carrey and Owen Wilson.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Chip...
"Well look who decided to show!"

Steven...
"You were supposed to be here three hours ago."

Chip...
"So...i'm the tardy one?"

Steven...
"Yes."

Chip...
"Well maybe I shouldn't have come at all JERKOFFFFFFF!!!"

Chip...
"I just wanna hang out, NO BIG DEEEAAALLLLL!!!!"

:laugh: :laugh:

And yes, Jack Black isn't capable of making a bad movie! He single handedly saved Saving Silverman from total disaster! Well, Steve Zahn helped also. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks