What's new

Bye, Bye Tru Calling? (Not yet!) (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Since Fox pulled the plug so abruptly, it's not surprising that the show ends without any resolution. In just six episodes of what should have been a 20- or 22-episode season, a show like Tru barely has time to lay out the elements of a season-long arc, let alone resolve them.

(And I'm not just talking generally; I know what happens in those six episodes.)

M.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
They really screwed up when they brought Jack in. The show is TOO focused now. She only has one job, and that is to stop him.

Glenn

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It took me a while to recognize Liz Vassey (she being of "The Tick" fame as Captain Liberty) because she wasn't exposing her forehead in the role as the shrink for Davis.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

are you serious?? This is an arc, something they DESPERATELY needed after doing 12 or 13 episodes of Tru saving everybody day after day...

The show is awesome and Jack's character is the reason for that..

Of course, the last episode that they filmed is an xmas episode, so we're not going to get any sort of closure to the arc.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yep, seriously.

In the first season, she'd go back and have to look into why so-and-so died and try and fix it. Now, it is just because the victim was on 'his' hit list. Where is the creativity?

Look at the boy with the skateboard. On the rerun, she didn't even need to be there. A dumb sub-plot, yes, but why is it even there? Just to show us that her life is not her own anymore, and that it doesn't belong to helping out the 'victim', either. All she is doing is trying to stop Jack. The only 'killer' is Jack.

I can't agree that this is a story arc, either. However frustrating it might be, in most arcs the main character is trying to defeat the 'bad guy', but with this, we get an ending at the end of the hour. The 'victim' gets saved, but the next show starts up another totally new story, except that the same jerk is the perp. If he stopped, would she go back to saving regular people? Does every episode have to have Jack behind it?

"Shows like '24', 'LOST' & 'The Shield" have arcs. ONE story that runs through the season. Each episode isn't broken neatly up into one hour episodes, and most often, the end of the hour is a suspensful moment. With this, we sort of get a happy ending.

Too tidy, too neat, and too focused. I'd stop watching it except for the fact that she is soooooo friggin' hot!

Glenn

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
Adding priestley to the show opened up SO MANY possible storylines. He is the guy that preserves FATE and makes sure things go the way they were supposed to. How can you not find that interesting?

We had 12 episodes of tru saving somebody and they added some stuff to that(double rewind, letting davis know etc etc), but that's about as far as they could take it.

I repeat, Jack is NOT the killer or the perp. He is merely meant to preserve fate, whether it be good or bad. The fact that he saved Tru, because she wasn't meant to die makes it all the more interesting. There aren't always happy endings - i recall a few episodes where people died, including tru's boyfriend. You do realize that there is an ARC building, right? Tru's dad is trying to recruit Harrison to be on their side...

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about in reference to the skateboard. Are you talking about the kid who runs into the middle of the street the first time around? The kid was supposed to run out into the street on the rewind. Since tru and jack were both trying to meet their goals(death of kate, saving kate), jack was merely doing his job(preserving fate), while trying to outwit Tru and make sure that Kate died. That kid was not meant to die, and he prevented the whole street thing from happening by buying the skateboard or whatever it was.

I saw the first two eps of season 2 about a month and a half ago, so I may not be remembering correctly but anywho...

Saying that Tru Calling would've been better with the formulaic rewind and get info and save victim is like saying that Smallville would be better off with Freak of the Week episodes every week.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen 'Smallville', so I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that, but how would that show be if every week he had to deal with Lex? Wouldn't that get kind of boring?

Glenn

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
For the finale'? They must be nuts

I know many people missed it, but 'LAX' had its finale' last week. She quit and took off to get married. A fitting ending - good or bad - but at least it had one.
What if Tru has a good ending too, and we don't get to see it? Sucks!

(admin note - spoilers added just in case someone stumbling into this thread, and not wanting to read about the finale to LAX)

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks