What's new

Bye, Bye DLP Rear Projection Displays! (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Makes me wonder if Mits ever regretted their decision in the late 80s to farm out 26" and smaller TV to Goldstar.
Look at Goldstar now...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I still keep my 65" Mitsubishi DLP in my main living room. I love the look of it, and the bang for buck was very high.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I hope someone will pick up and keep going with DLP, to keep the option alive. I think it's just plain stupidity to do away with the best looking pictures, for a tv that will hang on the wall! It's a TV! Not a painting or a photo! Flat panel tvs look like video, and DLP looks more like film, a much more pleasing picture to look at for hours at a time.
Someone should buy the technology for the LED DLPs from Samsung, and build them, instead of DLPs with a bulb to replace and the color wheel. With the LED DLPs you get an outstanding picture, great off axis viewing, great black levels, big screen for the price, and best of all, no reflections!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This thread is mis-named. DLP is alive and well in the front-projection market. It should be bye bye rear-projection!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Mark-P /t/325736/bye-bye-dlp#post_4009454
This thread is mis-named. DLP is alive and well in the front-projection market. It should be bye bye rear-projection!
Better?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anybody looking for a display might want to keep an eye on those retailers selling Mits DLPs as there should be some deals to be had in the coming year.

Crawdaddy

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yep, I was aware of the impending dropping of the DLP RPTV a couple months ago(from working with the prior employer doing wholesale)...but of course...couldn't say anything.
There was rumor they were going to keep the "rental" versions for Aaron's(and others) around...but they canned those as well. Much to the dismay of the "rental market".

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
so Is the 92 inch Mitts a good buy or bad at this point? I was about to pull the trigger yesterday on it and came across the news in the amazon reviews...but the seller on Amazon is also to my knowledge is not and official Mitts distributor...I have been back and forth between this and a projector as of late and because of lots of light in my room I was going with the DLP TV.
And yes size does matter...I'm coming from a Rear Projection 65 inch Sony...

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
id be careful when considering a plus 73" display size. Viewing angle matters a lot on these things. This directly related to viewing distance.
have fun!

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hey guys
I just got an email from Paul's TV. they are selling a 82" Mits for $1499 with delivery included. Smoking deal!!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
That's an incredible price. That is what I paid for my 73-inch Diamond Series last year.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
really? Not a black friday deal then.?
I got my 82" on Black Friday (ish) for $1600. I saw the 73" versions going for as low as $850.
Some manufacturers seem to be giving this stuff away at this time of year. I got a 40" Toshiba for $179 a couple of weeks ago.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Not Black Friday, plus I had to buy the furniture to place it on, which was quite expensive. I think I paid $1399, I honestly don't recall the exact price for the TV. Diamond Series has more features and is not as cheap as the ones that go for $850.
Anyway, this is a good time to get into DLP. The prices are great.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
As I just posted in another thread... I just ordered the 75" Laservue from Walt's TV last week.
Great timing, huh?
Ugh.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ric Easton /t/325736/bye-bye-dlp-rear-projection-displays#post_4011407
As I just posted in another thread... I just ordered the 75" Laservue from Walt's TV last week.
Great timing, huh?
Ugh.
If I didn't buy the Panny 65VT50 a few weeks ago, I would be in the market for getting one of these Mits DLP on a great deal.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Too bad. Hope our Sammy 61" LED DLP lasts us a long time still -- I did already need to replace the red LED once, but otherwise, it's been going strong for ~4 years now. Hmmm... I wonder if there will be some final big clearance deals leading up to SuperBowl Sunday... IIRC, that's what happened when Samsung pulled their plug 4 years ago. _Man_

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I worked in retail for about a year and a half. Sold many LCD, some Plasma but not one DLP set. I think Plasma will be the next one to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks