BVHE Press Release: Walt Disney Extends Worldwide Blu-ray Combo Pack through Dec. 2010

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

Based On Popular Demand:
    Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Extends Worldwide Blu-ray Combo Pack Efforts through December 2010

[SIZE= 12pt]Exceptional Value, Quality & Versatility Included In The Purchase of Any Disney-Branded Blu-ray Disc[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10.5pt]
    [/SIZE]BURBANK, Calif.— August 11, 2009 – In a time when price, quality and value are top of mind with consumers, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) today announces the extension of it’s Blu-ray Combo Pack initiatives worldwide, providing extended utility of DVD and exceptional quality of a Blu-ray Disc in a single value-pack. The Combo Packs will now be available across all Disney-branded Blu-ray titles releasing through December of 2010.

In a recent online survey* of US home entertainment consumers conducted by WDSHE and an independent market research company, Lieberman Research Worldwide showed that the value of the Combo Pack is undeniable for consumers. More than 77% consumers that intend to embrace Blu-ray technology in the near future agree that Combo Packs are a better value than purchasing a DVD or Blu-ray alone.

“Since introducing the industry’s first Blu-ray Combo Pack in Fall of 2008, we’ve seen tremendous consumer interest towards the purchase of product that come fully-loaded with extras that fit into their budgets, desires and lifestyles,” commented Bob Chapek, President of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. “The Disney Blu-ray Combo Pack is the perfect marriage of value, quality and versatility all wrapped-up in a single package.”

Some of the upcoming Combo Pack titles families can look forward to include an exciting new slate of Disney-branded theatrical, Diamond and Video Premiere titles, such as Hannah The Montana The Movie, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure, UP and Santa Buddies.

WDSHE first pioneered the Combo Pack – a Blu-ray Disc plus a standard definition DVD in a single package – with the Blu-ray release of Sleeping Beauty in October of 2008 to, at the time, allow consumers without Blu-ray players the opportunity to “future proof” their collections. Today, you can find two different models of the Disney Blu-ray Combo Pack on shelf: (1) A Blu-ray + DVD and/or (2) A Blu-ray + DVD + DisneyFile Digital Copy of the movie. Additional Blu-ray Combo Packs current available in the marketplace include Race To Witch Mountain, Bedtime Stories, Bolt, Pinocchio and High School Musical 3: Senior Year.

In addition to the exceptional picture, sound and hours of extra bonus features provided on all Disney Blu-ray Discs, consumers can also take advantage of watching their favorite films across multiple formats of choice. For example, The Blu-ray Disc can be used at home to maximize high definition home entertainment systems, the DVD in the car, and the Digital Copy on a PC or mobile device.

About Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, a recognized leader in the home entertainment industry, is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax and Buena Vista product which includes DVD, Blu-ray Disc, and electronic distribution. Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is a division of The Walt Disney Studios.

[FONT= 'Trebuchet MS']* Survey conducted in July 2009, among a large (n=1,642), randomly selected sample representative of the US home entertainment households that intend to adopt BD technology in the next 3-6 months.[/FONT]

2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Hopefully they'll also extend the $10 off coupon or (insert foreign currency equivalent here) as well. I don't think the impact of that incentive can be ignored.

3. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Boo!

4. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    "More than 77% consumers that intend to embrace Blu-ray technology in the near future agree that Combo Packs are a better value than purchasing a DVD or Blu-ray alone."

"...allow consumers without Blu-ray players the opportunity to “future proof” their collections."

Clearly, the biggest winners in the combo packs are those that have NOT YET made the jump to Blu-Ray. While I'm sure there are some folks out there that will use both formats regularly, I still wish they would allow those that prefer Blu-Ray to JUST HAVE the Blu-Ray. After all, there IS a DVD-only release, why not Blu-Ray only? I'd rather pay $30 for a Blu-Ray that I'd actually use than fork over an extra $10 for DVD and digital versions that I'll never use.

5. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    "More than 77% consumers that intend to embrace Blu-ray technology in the near future agree that Combo Packs are a better value than purchasing a DVD or Blu-ray alone."

It's funny. I read this quote, and all it says to me is "100% of share-holders and corporate officers agree that it's better to include a DVD with the Blu-ray, so that we can soak the consumer for ten dollars more while we still can."

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

This studio marketing trend with BD is beginning to concern me. Disney wants to charge me extra for a SD-DVD and digital copy I do not want, Warner wants me to buy a "Box 'o Junk" that I do not want, and Paramount jacks up the price of films by labeling them a "Saphire Edition".

If this keeps up, I will be saving a lot of money in the future, because I cannot justify spending this much money on BD releases.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I actually like having a DVD or a digital copy for portability's sake (in the car for the kids, at the in-laws, etc.), but don't really ever need both.

8. Steven Good

Steven Good Second Unit

Steven
    Terrific! I've been selling off all of the digital copy discs that the studios have been including in my blu-ray purchases on eBay, thereby recouping some of my blu-ray purchase price. I've yet to have any trouble selling off these discs that are only useful for playback on a PC or comatible MP3/video player.

If Disney wants to include yet another disc I have no interest in, I'll list the DVD and digital copy discs separately and potentially deprive Disney of two retail purchases . So... anyone who wants to pick up a new DVD cheap, you'll know where to look!

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Since pretty much none of the digital copies out there work on the PSP (and we only have a couple kids flicks w/ digital copies where we don't also have the DVD), I haven't made any real use of them so far.

With the way it works now, I'd rather they include the SD DVD version than the digital copy. I can probably just convert the DVD to my own digital copy to be used on whatever makes sense, eg. PSP, if/whenever I need that. The actual DVD would be more useful most other times, eg. as a loaner, on roadtrips, etc.

In fact, on occasion for certain specific cases, eg. certain kids movies, I've opted to just spend less and go w/ the standard DVD, instead of BD version (at least for now), because I know we'll want to have the DVD for use outside of our HT.

Disney's move to include the DVD at least for certain day-and-date new releases of family-oriented/kids titles has definitely helped though as that's the most likely case for us to want both in the purchase. For example, I picked up the Race to Witch Mountain BD at the last minute during release week in large part because I could use the DVD on our weekend trip -- and I did something similar for the Bedtime Stories BD also.

_Man_

10. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

I bought Disney's Sleeping Beauty in the Blu-Ray combo back before I had a Blu-ray player because I dreaded having to upgrade later. The combo pack was great. And ya know what? Looking at that shiny Blu-ray disc motivated me to get a Blu-ray player sooner than I originally intended to.

I think that is what the studio is hoping for. Folks who plan to upgrade at some point in the future might buy the combo pack. And that yet-to-be-played Blu-ray disc will act as it did on me, making that Blu-ray player purchase a higher priority for the combo package purchaser than it would have been without having a few Blu-rays already on my shelf, begging to be played.

And the spare DVD disc great is good for other non-theater rooms, and I have also been passing on some of my combo pack DVDs to friends who are still living DVD-only homes; They GREATLY appreciate the free films.

Count me as a fan of these combo sets!

Edited by Mark Walker - 8/16/2009 at 10:56 pm GMT

11. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I also appreciate the extra DVD for Disney films as they are the ones that are most likely to be carted along on family trips. I don't need a DVD version of Bram Stoker's Dracula (my kids are years away from watching that) but I do appreciate the DVD of Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty (two favourites of my children that will be coming along our trip later this week).

12. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    I still think they should offer a Blu-Ray only release for those that have no use for the extra disc(s). By offering a DVD-only choice, but no Blu-Ray only choice, Disney is effectively rewarding people for future upgrades, but punishing some that have already made the switch.

Now, I'm not saying combo packs don't have value to many people out there - to the contrary, I think it's a good alternative to the inevitable "double-dipping" that most people face after adopting a new video format, but Disney needs to recognize that not ALL Blu-Ray owners will automatically wish they had a DVD, too.

In the infancy of DVD how many DVD/VHS releases were there? I don't recall any, and I'm pretty certain I would have been ticked to have to fork over an extra $10 (in addition to the pre-existing DVD price premium) to get the DVD because it included a VHS tape that would never be used.

13. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Not really a good analogy to VHS/DVD, since DVD was a completely different form factor, whereas DVD/BD are both discs that easily fit into the same package.

I agree that offering a combo pack is a pretty good idea for these kind of "family" titles where the DVD has a good chance of going on the road or to grandma's house. But the choice of a Blu-ray only version would also be nice to let the consumer decide.

14. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

The combos (minus the worthless digital copies, which will not play on my Zune), have been appreciated by me, as my 2 year old has a DVD player in her room, and we have yet to upgrade the bedroom to Blu-Ray (though I plan to change that by the holidays). At the same time charging a $45 MSRP on these is NOT going to help speed blu-ray adoption.

15. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Having the choice would be ideal, but I suspect they believe/realize that ideal is not all that feasible in actual practice.

I can imagine there would be plenty of confusion (both amongst consumers *and* retailers) when choices multiply. Perhaps, this lack of choice for certain types of releases, ie. new day-and-date family/kids-oriented titles, does make the most practical sense from their business standpoint. Yeah, it'll piss off a few individuals who only want the BD, not the DVD included, but it'll probably satisfy the large majority of consumers w/out introducing more confusion into the sales process. It'll also streamline their entire production/distribution process more too, which will reduce certain operating costs.

RE: the objections about the extra $ they're charging, near as I can tell, they're actually only charging ~$5 more, not $10 more. So not quite so bad even though it's certainly not ideal.

Now, if they do this more broadly (and arbitrarily) for non-family/kids-oriented and/or catalog titles too, then that would indeed be a problem. I think for those cases they should probably just continue to offer the $10 upgrade rebate they started testing w/ select titles before -- would be much better though if they make the rebate easier to obtain, eg. w/out having to cut out the UPC from the BD cover thus marring the cover.

_Man_