BVHE Press Release: UP (DVD/Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [SIZE= 9pt][​IMG]

The #1 Animated Film of the Year
    !
    [/SIZE]From the Creators of Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc.
    Comes the Hilarious and Unforgettable Adventure
    [SIZE= 7pt]
    [/SIZE]Disney[SIZE= 8pt]•[/SIZE]Pixar’s[SIZE= 9pt]
    [/SIZE][SIZE= 27pt]Up
    [/SIZE][SIZE= 9pt]
    [/SIZE][SIZE= 10pt]Coming to Blu-Ray™ Hi-Def and DVD with [/SIZE][SIZE= 10pt]Disneyfile Digital Copy on
    November 10, 2009[/SIZE][SIZE= 9pt]
    [/SIZE][SIZE= 9pt]
    [/SIZE][SIZE= 10pt]Burbank, California, August 10, 2009 — An exhilarating, hilarious and heartfelt animated
    adventure comes home when Disney•Pixar’s Up arrives on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def and DVD on
    November 10, 2009 from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. Blending inspired
    whimsy with powerful emotion, the hugely successful feature film is an artistic and
    entertaining tour de force for the entire family. Up is available in a four-disc Blu-ray
    Combo Pack, and a two-disc DVD, which both include DisneyFile, a digital copy of the
    movie that can be viewed on an array of electronic devices, as well as enough bonus
    features that keep the fun coming.

Academy Award®-nominee Pete Docter (2008, Best Original Screenplay, WALL•E; 2001,
    Best Animated Feature Film, Monsters, Inc.) directs one of the funniest fantasy-
    adventures of all time featuring a gifted voice cast that includes Ed Asner (Elf),
    Christopher Plummer (Inside Man), Up co-director and writer Bob Peterson (Monsters,
    Inc.), Delroy Lindo (This Christmas) and John Ratzenberger (who has lent his voice to
    every Disney•Pixar feature film).

Up is the tenth in an unprecedented streak of critical and box office triumphs for
    Disney•Pixar that includes four Academy Award® winners for Best Animated Feature—
    WALL•E (2008), Ratatouille (2007), The Incredibles (2004) and Finding Nemo (2003)—
    as well as Cars, Monsters, Inc., Toy Story 2, A Bug’s Life and Toy Story. Up joined each
    of its predecessors in ranking #1 at the box office on its opening weekend.

BONUS FEATURES FOR UP
    • Commentary by director Pete Docter and co-director Bob Peterson.
    • Dug’s Special Mission – An all new original short film that follows the
    misadventures of Dug as he attempts to complete his “special mission.” The
    short is directed by Up Story Supervisor, Ronnie Del Carmen.
    • The Many Endings of Muntz – Many ideas were hatched about how to dispose
    of the film’s arch villain, Muntz, and now viewers can see the many alternate
    endings proposed during story development.
    • Partly Cloudy –The hilarious short film that preceded screenings of Up.
    Everyone knows that the stork delivers babies, but where do the storks get the
    babies? The answer lies up in the stratosphere where the cloud Gus is a master
    at creating “dangerous” babies, which prove to be more than a handful for his
    loval delivery stork Peck. Directed by Pixar story artist, animator and voice actor
    Peter Sohn.
    • Adventure is Out There – This action-packed documentary tells the story of the
    filmmakers’ own trek to the tepuis mountains of South America to research the
    design and story of the film.

And, only on Blu-ray Hi-Def, hours of features, and behind-the scenes bonus features,
    including:
    • Cine-Explore – A visual montage of concept art, clips and documentary
    coverage that illustrates the directors’ commentary.
    • Geriatric Hero – A character study of Carl, from research to realization including
    art and design, rigging, animation and story. It focuses on the issues of aging,
    “simplexity”, shape-language and compelling character arcs.
    • Canine Companions – For anyone who ever wondered where CG puppies
    come from, an introduction to the design, behavior and language of dogs.
    • Russell: Wilderness Explorer – A character study of Russell from inspiration
    and design to finding the character arc and authentic voice for this wilderness
    ranger.
    • Our Giant Flightless Friend, Kevin – Find out how avian research and
    development at Pixar helped bring a mythical, 13-foot tall iridescent bird to life.
    • Homemakers of Pixar – Carl and Ellie’s house is an important “character” in the
    film. Fans follow the development of the house from story to art to its ultimate
    realization in the computer.
    • Balloons and Flight – Carl’s house and Muntz's dirigible presented the
    filmmakers with two different problems—how could they make a physical
    impossibility possible? And, in the case of the dirigible, how would they unearth a
    fallen giant and let it soar?
    • Composing for Characters – Composer Michael Giacchino returns to score his
    third Disney•Pixar feature film. See how the Up filmmakers collaborated with
    Giacchino to create the memorable score and compelling musical themes.
    • Married Life – The original story concept that became the powerful “Married Life”
    scene, showing Carl and Ellie’s love story.
    • Global Guardian Badge Game – Players try to locate countries, states and
    capitals around the globe in a multi-layered BD-Exclusive geography game
    enhanced by BD-Live.

Synopsis:
    Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios take moviegoers up, up and away on
    one of the funniest adventures of all time with their latest comedy-fantasy. Up follows the
    uplifting tale of 78-year-old balloon salesman Carl Fredricksen, who finally fulfills his
    lifelong dream of a great adventure when he ties thousands of balloons to his house and
    flies away to the wilds of South America. But he discovers all too late that his biggest
    nightmare has stowed away on the trip: an overly optimistic 8-year-old Wilderness
    Explorer named Russell. Their journey to a lost world, where they encounter some
    strange, exotic and surprising characters, is filled with hilarity, emotion and wildly
    imaginative adventure.

Up has a suggested retail price of $39.99 SRP (US) or $44.99 SRP (Canada) for the 2-
    Disc DVD, and $45.99 SRP (US) or $52.99 SRP (Canada) for the 4-Disc Blu-ray Combo
    pack. A 1-Disc DVD is also available at SRP $29.99 (US), $35.99 (Canada)

STREET DATE: 11/10
    Direct prebook: 9/1
    Distributor prebook: 9/15
    Pricing: 2-Disc DVD: $39.99, 4-Disc Bluy-ray Combo: $45.99
    Feature run time: 96 minutes
    Rated: PG
    Bonus Materials Not Rated in US
    Technical specifications may only apply to feature.
    Aspect ratio: DVD: Widescreen 16x9
    Sound: SD: 5.1 Dolby Digital, BD: Dolby Digital EX 1080P
    Languages: English, Canadian French, Spanish

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, a recognized leader in the home
    entertainment industry, is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney,
    Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax and Buena Vista product, which includes
    DVD, Blu-ray Disc™ and electronic distribution. Walt Disney Studios Home
    Entertainment is a division of The Walt Disney Studios.
    [/SIZE]

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Despite the high MSRP, I'm sure there will be good deals on it since this will be a huge seller.

3. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    There had better be deals.
    I know I have been very outspoken on this site about people complaining about blu-rays costing too much. I have always said that blu-ray is better so it is understandable that they are more than the DVD. BUT.... I was talking about $5 more, not $20. I refuse to ever pay more than about $25 to $28 for a Blu-Ray.

If the price for this movie on amazon stays at $42, I really hope nobody buys it. If they do, then we can surely expect all future releases to be at that price.

And Disney, don't give me the "But it includes a DVD and A digital copy". Big freak en dooooo. I don't need either one of those, and don't think they are worth $20 extra.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Even if Amazon reduces the price to their typical 30% off MSRP, this will still be over $32. At that price, I will rent instead. I do not need a SD-DVD or digital copy, and can wait for a less expensive version without those items. A Bug's Life dropped to $20 before I purchased that BD, and I will wait for this title and Monster's Inc. to each do the same.

5. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Exactly. Whenever you see things like 'a $74 value', which I believe I actually saw on the promotional material for one of these films, you know someone is full of shit. A DVD and a digital copy would be worth $5 extra maybe.

6. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    I'm getting sick of this "digital copy" stuff, too. I realize that for some, it's a worthwhile bonus, but to my knowledge, it's still a pretty niche market? I can only hope that a more bare-bones Blu-Ray release will be announced shortly. I can't justify the price premium otherwise.

If they would instead include a coupon within the DVD and Blu-Ray releases for $5-10 off the other format, then you'd have a reasonable incentive for those that really want both formats to get them at a discount.

7. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    Well, according to the press release the MSRP for the Blu-ray is just $6 more. Then again I think the MSRP for the 2-disc DVD is way too high. BTW, I for one am happy that they include a DVD of the film. The digital copy is another matter entirely.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

This is one of the biggest movies of the year and all the stores will be trying to undercut the other guy so this will be discounted to at least $30. That's too much for some people but I can deal with it especially since it's the best movie I've seen this year and it's most likely to be a reference disc and a very nice special edition as well.

9. Frank Ha

Frank Ha Second Unit

Frank Harrison
    Well, I won't be buying it. At least not as long as the price is that high. That's outrageous. I hope they offer a basic edition for those of us that don't want or need all the extras.

Last year I bought Wall-E on Blu for $25 from Amazon. That was the 3-disc edition. It retails for $40 so it make sense that Up! may be available for $30 as Travis says. None-the-less, even if it comes down to $30 I will not buy it. I love Blu-ray, and I will continue to buy Blu-rays, but not at that price. It's just a little to high for me.

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

And here I thought this was the Russ Meyer version. :)

11. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Judging from the responses in this thread for even $30 actual, a lot are people are planning to pass. As much as I like Pixar and the movie, I really hope people insist on more reasonable prices before purchasing.

12. BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman Supporting Actor

I would just like to know who writes these press releases, some 20 year old with no command of the English language? It's shocking, actually.

13. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I'll wait till the proper 3-D version is released - probably 2010.

14. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

Great. A month after it's released in theaters here I can buy it on Blu :). Seems like a solid package, though.

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I wish I could respond to that but I can't read the first post because of the screwy way the forum formatted the post.
    It's been a couple months now shouldn't this stuff be fixed?

[​IMG]

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Tony: What browser are you using? It looks fine to me in FF 3.5.2 on XP.

[​IMG]

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

This isn't the place to discuss it, Tony, but the problem you're seeing isn't seen by most users and affects only a few threads (and even fewer now that I've changed how I post reviews). The "fix" is not a simple matter, and it has to get in line with a lot of other issues. So, no, a few months isn't much time, given the relative severity and competing priorities. Further discussion belongs in Feedback.

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I put it over there too, I don't know why it does that on my macbook, oh well.

Anyway, when this comes down to a reasonable price I'll buy it, until then a rental.

19. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

To be fair, Disney has issued coupons for a number of releases this year, the last of which was $10 off the Blu-ray edition of Hannah Montana The Movie. Whether or not we can expect one for UP remains to be seen; if one is made available, I'm sure someone (myself included) will pass along this information.

20. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    The last several Pixar films have been nothing but complete disappointments, that is until UP. It sits second place to TS1 & 2. A must buy.